Hawk Eye Depth Gauge Install with pic.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kustomkarl

Premium Member
Premium Member
This is the installation I promised to post about the Hawk Eye Depth Finder.
The dimensions of the unit are 2” diameter and 1.75” deep. It uses a polarized Liquid Crystal. It comes with a white or black face plate and ring that are interchangeable. The preferred method to install is in dash or a special mounting unit for above dash is available. The Hawk Eye also comes with a cover to protect the face of the gauge. This unit will read from 1.0 to 200 ft deep. It has an alarm that you can set for the upper depth or the lower depth you desire. You can shut it off quickly when it sounds, by pressing the buttons on the face. The alarm signals are audible, red LED or blinking LCD icons. The transducer is included also that can be mounted on the transom or it can be glued inside the Hull of the boat. The transducer has 30 ft. of cable. It has a frequency of 200 KHZ
The unit is a simple 3 wire install. Install time approximate 1.5 hrs not counting cure time of epoxy//needs 12 hrs fully cure.

Here is the list of tools you will need to perform the install.
1) Tape measure
2) Power Drill gun
3) 2” hole saw drill (red in picture)
4) Pencil or marker
5) 5.5 mm socket w ¼ ratchet and extension
6) Pair of cutting pliers
7) 4 plastic ties
8) Wire connectors for power and ground connectors
9) 2 part clear epoxy, slow cure (pic7)
10) Piece of 80 grit sand paper//no picture

This install is on my 1997 Challenger Model 5603

I have enclosed pictures of the tools required. (Pic#1) Notice in the picture the green disc. This is what I drilled out of the dash to fit the depth finder in.

First consider where you want to mount the depth finder. Use the tape measure to measure the open area. I used the ring for the face of the depth finder to determine the exact location, measured it with the tape measure and mark the center of the position to drill the hole with the pencil or marker. I opened the console and unscrewed the bottom cover (5.5mmSocket) (Pic#2) Check for any wires or obstructions. The area was clear and I could route the power and ground with other wires from Tach. and Speedo. I also checked for open room for transducer plug end which there was plenty. (Pic#3) I wanted to mount between the 2 other gauges. I ran the transducer plug end from the Hull of the boat along side the steering cables and control cables up to the front storage compartment with out any problems. Remove the storage box for install. Use stiff piece of wire like a coat hanger if you need to help run the transducer plug end. Sorry no picture. Remove the top cover over gauges shown in (Pic 4) to allow room to drill hole for gauge. Use 5.5mm socket again from access from the cover in (pic2) Now use 2” hole saw and cut out the hole in the plastic be careful and go slowly, as it is very thin. Install the face plate color you want.

Assemble gauge in hole, tighten the supplied bracket on back and pull wires through the grommet in bottom of cover. (Pic 3) Leave the fuse assy. for gauge in top section of cover. Cut the rubber grommet with the cutting pliers and run the transducer wire to the gauge through the 2 holes and plug into the gauge.(Pic3)

Run the Black and Red wire from the gauge with other wires and connect to a power source that is active when the motor has ignition.(Pic5) If you run it to say the blower it will be active all the time and run the battery down. I chose the power and ground of the fuel gauge as it has enough amps to run the depth gauge and it was in the area. Use the plastic ties to keep bundled up and orderly.(Pic 6) re-assemble all panels, install storage box.

Ok almost done now, I have the location of the transducer already set so look at the pictures and mount it to the hull and your done. Here is how; scuff the fiberglass with 80 grit sand paper to make the surface the size of the transducer smooth. Mix the 2 part epoxy following the directions on package.(Pic7) Surface must be dry and clean. Mix it on cardboard or similar. You’ll need enough to cover both surfaces. Again be sure to follow directions for cure times. Have the wire out the top flat side down with point of transducer facing the front of the boat.(Pic8+9) Stick it down with a twisting motion to remove bubbles and let dry. If the transducer doesn’t stay put use duct tape to help secure it. Now it’s all done look at the job and enjoy.
Finished project (Pic 10)
Boat slow speed (Pic 11)
Boat at speed (Pic 12)

Attachments

• df001.jpg
    df001.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,132
  • df 002.jpg
    df 002.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,367
  • df003.jpg
    df003.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,663
  • df004.jpg
    df004.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 2,084
  • df005.jpg
    df005.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,775
Last edited by a moderator:
Where can I find it?

O.K...You got me all excited about this project and your talking about looking at all the pix. I'm looking really hard and I don't see them. Then at the bottom, you say pix to come soon.
That's like watching one of those shows on t.v. that is getting really good, then goes off, and you hear the guy say, "continued tomorrow"!....:rofl:

more pics cont..

Attachments

• df 006.jpg
    df 006.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,072
  • df 008.jpg
    df 008.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,458
  • df 009.jpg
    df 009.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,264
  • df 011.jpg
    df 011.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,202
  • df 012.jpg
    df 012.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,203
Here are the 2 missing pictures #7 and #10

Attachments

• df007.jpg
    df007.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,028
  • df010.jpg
    df010.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,220
I thought so too!

Yeah,.........and it even looks good!...Now, if I want my boat to look good, I got to put one in mine too!.......:)

Got it!

Thanks for spotting the Hawkeye on ebay for a really cheap price and sending me the link. I was able to get my bid in with under 30 minutes to spare.
Now, I'll be reading your post so that I don't have to do the trial and error thing on the transducer to find where it works best!
Thanks again for the heads up on it Karl!..........
BTW, will that allow me to go any faster and keep up with your new twin engine 4-TEC, or will I still be eatin your salt spray?

I ordered one for my speedster too, so you'll have to look for more horse power elsewhere. I might want to replace my clarion CD/AM/FM in the speedster for one that has a remote controller I can install on driver side. The stereo is on the passenger dash. Would you be interested? I haven't used it yet it is model 255,/ with detachable face. Let me know.

Your the expert!

I'll let you know. Like I said, I'm just gonna put it down on the hull till I can test it for the best location........I think I'm gonna get my fuel gage working first. Then look at that XP speedo I've seen on ebay............chow

Kustomkarl, when you install your depth finder post some pictures on locations for the transducer in your new 200speedster.

Ok, will do. I think I will do it tomorrow or Sunday If I have enough water under the lift. The cold weather pulled out all the water From the ICW and the channels.

make sure the transducer is located on part of the hull that is in the water at full speed. if there is air under it it is trying to read altitude. if it is on a bracket at the rear of the hull, there is always air under it.

This is the installation I promised to post about the Hawk Eye Depth Finder.
The dimensions of the unit are 2” diameter and 1.75” deep. It uses a polarized Liquid Crystal. It comes with a white or black face plate and ring that are interchangeable. The preferred method to install is in dash or a special mounting unit for above dash is available. The Hawk Eye also comes with a cover to protect the face of the gauge. This unit will read from 1.0 to 200 ft deep. It has an alarm that you can set for the upper depth or the lower depth you desire. You can shut it off quickly when it sounds, by pressing the buttons on the face. The alarm signals are audible, red LED or blinking LCD icons. The transducer is included also that can be mounted on the transom or it can be glued inside the Hull of the boat. The transducer has 30 ft. of cable. It has a frequency of 200 KHZ
The unit is a simple 3 wire install. Install time approximate 1.5 hrs not counting cure time of epoxy//needs 12 hrs fully cure.

Here is the list of tools you will need to perform the install.
1) Tape measure
2) Power Drill gun
3) 2” hole saw drill (red in picture)
4) Pencil or marker
5) 5.5 mm socket w ¼ ratchet and extension
6) Pair of cutting pliers
7) 4 plastic ties
8) Wire connectors for power and ground connectors
9) 2 part clear epoxy, slow cure (pic7)
10) Piece of 80 grit sand paper//no picture

This install is on my 1997 Challenger Model 5603

I have enclosed pictures of the tools required. (Pic#1) Notice in the picture the green disc. This is what I drilled out of the dash to fit the depth finder in.

First consider where you want to mount the depth finder. Use the tape measure to measure the open area. I used the ring for the face of the depth finder to determine the exact location, measured it with the tape measure and mark the center of the position to drill the hole with the pencil or marker. I opened the console and unscrewed the bottom cover (5.5mmSocket) (Pic#2) Check for any wires or obstructions. The area was clear and I could route the power and ground with other wires from Tach. and Speedo. I also checked for open room for transducer plug end which there was plenty. (Pic#3) I wanted to mount between the 2 other gauges. I ran the transducer plug end from the Hull of the boat along side the steering cables and control cables up to the front storage compartment with out any problems. Remove the storage box for install. Use stiff piece of wire like a coat hanger if you need to help run the transducer plug end. Sorry no picture. Remove the top cover over gauges shown in (Pic 4) to allow room to drill hole for gauge. Use 5.5mm socket again from access from the cover in (pic2) Now use 2” hole saw and cut out the hole in the plastic be careful and go slowly, as it is very thin. Install the face plate color you want.

Assemble gauge in hole, tighten the supplied bracket on back and pull wires through the grommet in bottom of cover. (Pic 3) Leave the fuse assy. for gauge in top section of cover. Cut the rubber grommet with the cutting pliers and run the transducer wire to the gauge through the 2 holes and plug into the gauge.(Pic3)

Run the Black and Red wire from the gauge with other wires and connect to a power source that is active when the motor has ignition.(Pic5) If you run it to say the blower it will be active all the time and run the battery down. I chose the power and ground of the fuel gauge as it has enough amps to run the depth gauge and it was in the area. Use the plastic ties to keep bundled up and orderly.(Pic 6) re-assemble all panels, install storage box.

Ok almost done now, I have the location of the transducer already set so look at the pictures and mount it to the hull and your done. Here is how; scuff the fiberglass with 80 grit sand paper to make the surface the size of the transducer smooth. Mix the 2 part epoxy following the directions on package.(Pic7) Surface must be dry and clean. Mix it on cardboard or similar. You’ll need enough to cover both surfaces. Again be sure to follow directions for cure times. Have the wire out the top flat side down with point of transducer facing the front of the boat.(Pic8+9) Stick it down with a twisting motion to remove bubbles and let dry. If the transducer doesn’t stay put use duct tape to help secure it. Now it’s all done look at the job and enjoy.
Finished project (Pic 10)
Boat slow speed (Pic 11)
Boat at speed (Pic 12)
yellow wire conecters in photo 5 I have seen to many problems with so I quit useing them. I hate to say I end up cutting wires to make a beter conection. the problem takes about 1 month to a couple of years to show up. but normaly within the first year. :hurray:

I just used the yellow and red clips for the photos. I solder and shrink wrap everything before it hits the water. These clips are just temporary to see everything is working.

Karl

Thats too much...go to e-bay...it sells for like 54.00 plus shipping comes to like 62.00 delivered. The company is in Orlando Florida, NorCross Marine Products. It retails from them direct for like $106.00 go to E-Bay...
I have one in my 200 speedster too...I love it.

Karl

Position....

As for the position, if your putting it in the Challenger, the pix and mark ups that Karl has listed is all you need. I printed his material in the post and put it in just like he said and wham!.......it worked perfect. He went through all the trials and tribulations of finding the right spot, I just got the "freebie" lesson as to where to put it. To bad he put that in the forum........I'd had gladly paid him for the "secret" to keep me from spending a day trying to figure it out................:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back