GTX sluggush / cavitating on take off

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

GTX rider

I have a 97 GTX that has a new motor with 56 hours on it, new impeller with about 70 hrs, new intake grate, runs good. But when you take off, it take a while to get out of the water. It started off just doing this occasionally, now its all the time, and if two people are on it or you try to pull a tube, forget it. Riding alone or two small people, it eventually gets up.

I have looked at the wear ring and it looks clean, no debris in the intake, and the impeller has a few small nicks. I am not really sure what else to check. What other items effect the propulsion that could cause this? Whats should I look for with the wear ring? How can I test it all out without going to the lake? riding season is coming up and I want this thing fixed. :rofl:

Any help would be appreciated.:hurray:

Put feeler gauges between impeller blade and wear ring. I think specs are .040 or less. Much more than that and you will have less propulsion. I ran mine to .120 and it wouldn't even take off with a second person on it, and would spin for several seconds with only one person before it got moving.

New ring and it hops OUT of the water when you gun it.

Depending on the nicks in the blades, you may want to look at replacing, if not at least cleaning them up. But unless nicks are really bad, it shouldn't affect your propulsion as much as you state yours is lacking.

Going Nowhere? Tolerance between the prop and its wear ring wall should be
.008 as Good, .040 as being Bad. You need to remove the steering nozzel to see
that. Remove the PTO plastic cover to see the pto and the drive shaft. Mark
or paint a line, inline, on each. After engine run, turn off and check that alignment.
This will tell you if the internal splines in PTO are damaged. Then fix one or
all three. PTO, drive shaft, jetpump. Hopes this helps. Bill

Rave valves clean? Mine were not and it made a huge amount of diff.I got the info from this site and it was great

Isn't there a "sticky" thread on cleaning RAVE valves?

It is such a common issue that should be done yearly, just type clean rave valve into search and you will hit hundreds of threads, and maybe find that sticky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back