Gtr won’t start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a 2016 gtr215.
I was out riding today and thought I heard a strange whine from the super charger, it stopped and then about 20min later the ski died. I opened the engine compartment and smelled some burning smell and there was some smoke. The ski wouldn’t start after that, it sounded like it would attempt to but wouldn’t turn over. A few weeks ago my girl ran over the ski rope and it got wrapped in the drive shaft. I thought I got it all out but could have missed some. Also ski has 60hrs and hasn’t had the supercharger done. Also last week I lost power and had a vibration when giving throttle but that went away in a few mins so I didn’t give it a thought.

Any idea would be very helpful

Well Jane motorcycles I think you are thinking that your supercharger came apart and the parts went into your engine and failed the oil system which then seized up your motor. It does sound plausible. The only way to find out is to start taking things apart and see what’s broken. The intake hose on the supercharger would be a good first place to start to see if you can spin the supercharger impeller by hand. If you can it’s failed. Probably then a dealer is the next step.

Well Jane motorcycles I think you are thinking that your supercharger came apart and the parts went into your engine and failed the oil system which then seized up your motor. It does sound plausible. The only way to find out is to start taking things apart and see what’s broken. The intake hose on the supercharger would be a good first place to start to see if you can spin the supercharger impeller by hand. If you can it’s failed. Probably then a dealer is the next step.

I’ll try and spin it tomorrow

If you bought a extended warranty and it’s within the warranty time frame it could be covered. Basic Sea-Doo warranty is 12 months. It is unusual for a supercharger to fail with 60hours but three years is also beyond the recommended time for supercharger maintenance. Also depends on if the yearly maintenance intervals were done.
Just that what you are describing certainly sounds like a classic supercharger failure but we are just guessing at this point.

If you bought a extended warranty and it’s within the warranty time frame it could be covered. Basic Sea-Doo warranty is 12 months. It is unusual for a supercharger to fail with 60hours but three years is also beyond the recommended time for supercharger maintenance. Also depends on if the yearly maintenance intervals were done.
Just that what you are describing certainly sounds like a classic supercharger failure but we are just guessing at this point.

Just checked the supercharger and I definitely can’t spin it with my finger, felt like a little play maybe but no rotation

Okay, probably not a supercharger clutch washer failure since you can’t spin it.
Maybe someone else could chime in here, is there a easy way to tell if a bearing failed in her supercharger without taking it off and apart? With the small play she has mentioned possibly it is frozen with damage?

Would the supercharger cause the engine not to turn over, I get 2 beeps and it tries to turn over but sounds jammed. I checked the impeller and there doesn’t seem to be anything in there but the is very little clearance between the blades and the plastic ring, like no clearence

The supercharger is direct gear driven from the motor so if the supercharger was frozen from a failed bearing it could prevent the motor from turning over from just the starter. You could pull the supercharger, and then see if the motor then turns over.
The jet pump is also gear driven so if it’s seized, failed bearing, it could also prevent the motor from turning over. (Ski rope).

Don't own any seadoo 4stroke skis only the 2strokes, but if it is believed that the supercharger ate up the motor, would metal fragments show up in the oil? Cheapest problem would have been a jet pump failure, if you can would could remove the jetpump to see if it has seized, removing the jetpump will also let you see if the motor is locked up.

Although I feel like the dealer will try and charge you for everything in this case.

Hopefully you didn’t get all the ski rope removed and that’s the problem. Let us know what the dealer finds and if you need any repair advice let us know.

Checking a supercharger by fingers only tells you the clutch is intact but doesn’t tell you the supercharger bearings have failed
Just opened up a 2010 RXP 255 engine just goes click click
Pulled pump all good
Checked supercharger with fingers all good
Then used 17mm socket to discover a scraping sound = bearing closest to Pto has failed

Pic below shows the impeller rubbing casing
1569840506199.jpeg

When the bearing fails the supercharger impeller can scrape against the outer casing creating metal shavings. Those metal shavings are then distributed throughout the motor via the oil system. The oil screens and filter traps most of the particulates but not before damage can be done to bearings and races. If there is metal missing from the supercharger the motor should be disassembled, inspected, and cleaned whenever a supercharger washer or bearing fails. That is why it is important to properly maintain any supercharged motor including proper oil changes and supercharger maintenance.

Last edited:
How do the shavings get into the oil system ‍♂️ They are in the air intake system

The only things that get into the oil system is if there is any damage on the clutch side and the particles from the bearing that disintegrated are small enough to exit between the bearing inner and outer race on the gear side of supercharger.

So the only time you get bigger chunks of metal in the oil system is when the washers fail?
And the smaller particles that get by the outer race can they do any damage to bearings and races?

To the best of my knowledge they will fall into the sump and won’t get past the coarse strainers to the pump
The charger I have just done had the bearing on the PTO side failed and the balls where egg shape

Ok so the supercharger blew with 60hrs on it. The dealer said I need a new engine and supercharger. The ski is 2016 and out of warranty but this is way to early for the thing to blow. Anyone have any idea about getting Sea-Doo to cover it?

If you have proof that all the required maintenance was done from when the ski was new maybe BRP might listen but doubtful. If no maintenance records not a chance in ......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back