Seadoo Smoking

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

RenRio

I have a 2019 GTR 230, and I was riding at 65mph yesterday. Then the ski slowly slowed down and stalled. It quickly restarted, but there was a lot of white smoke and oil in the water around me. The white smoke smelled more like burning oil than like steam from over heating coolant. The oil splatter in the hull and the oil on the dip stick looks clean, not milky. Could a failed head gasket cause these symptoms, or something else?

Wow! That's weird; same thing just happened to me. 2017 GTR 230. I found cylinder 3 with zero compression. Cylinder 1 at 65 PSI and cylinder 2 at 45. Not sure what happened yet, but as soon as the special tools I just ordered from Ebay arrive, I'll be pulling the cylinder head to see what broke. I suspect a damage piston, rings, or both since I heard a lot of air coming our of the dipstick tube when I performed a leak-down test of cylinder 3..

Wow! That's weird; same thing just happened to me. 2017 GTR 230. I found cylinder 3 with zero compression. Cylinder 1 at 65 PSI and cylinder 2 at 45. Not sure what happened yet, but as soon as the special tools I just ordered from Ebay arrive, I'll be pulling the cylinder head to see what broke. I suspect a damage piston, rings, or both since I heard a lot of air coming our of the dipstick tube when I performed a leak-down test of cylinder 3..
Please update me when you find out. I'm going to check my compression this weekend.

Did the water level drop in the coolant reservoir tank?
Any chance it overheated? This could burn a hole in a piston.
Might be worth checking for water in the intake hose from a leaking heat exchanger.
Next I would run a compression test.

Back