Seadoo 215 Squeal

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a 2005 RXT 215 and I've been chasing an issue for the past 2 years. I get about 35 seconds into a WOT run and then hear a large squeal and loss of power. I pull the power and reset then turn it back on and then I startup like nothing had an issue. I recently had a oil cooler fail and led to blowing the head gasket but these are unrelated. I've got about 65 or so hours on a brand new super charger and had a great mechanic check the moment force mentioning it was 165ft-lbs or in that region saying it wasn't the super charger while using his spare super charger I didn't notice any issues and was able to hold WOT but wasn't counting how long as it was a rather windy day down in the keys. I'm hoping it's not the supercharger but it sure feels like maybe it's slipping, but I'm unsure. As for the oil cooler that has been sorted but I'm in the process of getting a new head gasket and bolts shipped to me to sort that out. How likely is it that the super charger is the issue. I can't remember the last time I changed the oil could this solve my issue or if it is the charger is the damage already done if that is the case? I'm just guessing because it's the only thing that makes sense to be a reoccurring problem and with shutting down the motor and restarting solves the issue nothing else seems to make sense the injectors were flow tested and cleaned recently but still this issue as well as a new fuse and fuel pump from a starting issue I was having currently running '07 head and a new piston as I got lucky and dropped a valve at idle while flushing. Damaged the head and piston so tore the motor down and rebuild compression is 110-120-90-112 with the failed gasket. I know it's failed because lots of white steam and gulping coolant down. Wet plugs after shut down. This is just back ground information.
So the main issue I'm trying to solve is the squealing while running WOT it's almost perfectly between 45-60 seconds of full WOT while just running around at mid throttle I never have an issue. Launches do seem a little less aggressive as they once were, but this might be from the lack of compression due to a bad head gasket. Just hoping the head isn't warped or I'll be parting the whole thing out piece by piece to get into a 300 RXTX.
Thanks,
-Kurt

From experience....

The squeal is most likely from your supercharger. Do not run your machine until you can pull the SC off to inspect.

To confirm this, pull intake hose side of the SC and reach in and grab the compresser wheel by the nut and you most likely will be able to jiggle it around.

The SC has an outer and inner bearing and these bearings are in a plastic race. The plastic becomes brittle over time and breaks allowing the bearings to free float. This changes the bearing separation distances and allows the shaft to have lateral play. For me I was lucky because mine was the the bearing close to the input gear. This resulted for me in a large squeal like you mentioned.

I did not have touchdown of the compressor wheel but if it is the other bearing, you most likely will.

Again, do not run your machine.

I had all of the plastic still in the bearing so lucked out that nothing came out. I rebuilt the SC and was back in business.

Here are some photos...

5c1f34afc946fda90db414f5f0a522f0.jpg
caab1c00122e169fac4aaf19dca8c436.jpg
816df0e7e9ea44362d7732ae86b989f3.jpg

From experience....

The squeal is most likely from your supercharger. Do not run your machine until you can pull the SC off to inspect.

To confirm this, pull intake hose side of the SC and reach in and grab the compresser wheel by the nut and you most likely will be able to jiggle it around.

The SC has an outer and inner bearing and these bearings are in a plastic race. The plastic becomes brittle over time and breaks allowing the bearings to free float. This changes the bearing separation distances and allows the shaft to have lateral play. For me I was lucky because mine was the the bearing close to the input gear. This resulted for me in a large squeal like you mentioned.

I did not have touchdown of the compressor wheel but if it is the other bearing, you most likely will.

Again, do not run your machine.

I had all of the plastic still in the bearing so lucked out that nothing came out. I rebuilt the SC and was back in business.

Here are some photos...
I can confirm you can’t spin the charger by hand and there’s little to no play in the bearings. This was my original assumption however it’s just confusing me because the charger was checked out and everything was in spec so unless it is the charger I’ve been chasing my tail for 2 years now (I hardly get to ride and this has really put me off wanting too). As for not running the machine eh it’s 15 years old ive had it for 5 years now. I’ve torn the motor down, replaced impellers 3 times due to bad engine mounts changed the shaft twice one time it was ceased to the carbon seal second I stripped it because the engine mounts were bad and I didn’t know why it was sinking. If it breaks it breaks at this point the ski wasn’t taken care of before me so it’s just a beater now. I just would like to find this issue so I can have some more fun and maybe sell it so I can begin saving for a 260 or 300 rxt (x)

When was the last time the SC was rebuilt? As I learned, checked out is useless because I had mine put on the bench 10 hours before the cage disintegrated and it was perfect.

The boat though was a 2011 with only 55 hours when I bought it. The warnings were there on the forums but I chose to put it back in because it was perfectly in spec for clutch slip and operation was slick and fluid.

The plastic was obviously brittle and on top of my leaking IC also was dealing with the odd studder. The studder turned out to be a bad coil but I can only guess that the stutter would come through the SC gear and ultimately caused the brittle plastic to break.

The moral of the story is, if your SC has not been rebuilt in the last few years, I would do it. Worse case, it is not it and you could part out a newly rebuilt SC.

I lucked out, all of the plastic stayed inside. I also only had the squeal twice. The first time it happened right after a stutter incident. It worked fine after that but when I got back to the dock the SC obviously was louder. I checked the play and it felt maybe a little loose, which I chalked up to gear lash. The next day when I started it, I knew it sounded different but it worked fine, I went against one of my rules...if it sounds different, shut it down and figure it out. On a top speed blast squeal came hard with a loss of power. I shut it down and towed it back to the dock.

You can see on the raceway where it burned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back