RESTO Gray Ghost

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the cavitation issue was either the pitch of the leading edge or the lack of sealing from pump to pump shoe. Mine only had a o-ring that went around circumference of pump. Not between pump and shoe. I may use o-ring and a neoprene seal

The small hub 155mm was desired by racers for a while back in the day. That weird looking impeller they had in there was made by Nu-Jet. It was(is) very fast but there were cavitation complaints off idle on some old forums. I have not run mine yet to compare personally.

The 98GSXL/GTXL MPEM is not a clean swap into the Ghost. It starts and runs good but does a long beep randomly and my VTS gauge is pegged straight up. I think I'm going to have to use the wiring from the 98GSX before I fry something. I lost a rear coil in the RXX the other day plugging a single coil MPEM into it (oops)

Is the ghost MPEM shot or are you just experimenting?

No it's fine but I wanted to use the 98GSX MPEM and throttle cable to eliminate the TPS. Now I'm seeing it affects other things. I was going to swap to the 98GSX wiring. I

Is anyone interested in a good OEM small hub impeller for this model?

Chester

Sorry to muck up your thread with my confusion Dan. The 97.5 wiring DOES work on the 98 MPEM. The random beeps are a low fuel warning and the pegged VTS gauge is just something mine does half the time. I drilled the 2 rivets in front of the seat and took out the amplifier and the TPS and carb solenoid came out with it.

Sorry to muck up your thread with my confusion Dan. The 97.5 wiring DOES work on the 98 MPEM. The random beeps are a low fuel warning and the pegged VTS gauge is just something mine does half the time. I drilled the 2 rivets in front of the seat and took out the amplifier and the TPS and carb solenoid came out with it.

I have yet to even dig that far into the ski to trace the TPS, but if it's only controlling the carb solenoid, then cool, it's going away since the carbs get changed out anyways
Are you still running the reverse cooling? I think I'm going to switch that around to get the cool water to the head first.. probably did that for more EPA junk.

It's probably controlling timing also.

Yes I'm running the reverse cooling but I have not started tuning yet just break in putting around.

I've been collecting parts and doing a bit of work lately on this ski. I've managed to pick up a UMI w/ RXX steering cable, an R&D exhaust cone, R&D intake, the ADA head with (currently) 50cc domes, and a few other little things.
The top end has been sent off to Fullbore, I'm going to have him go ahead with big Wossner's and just his mild "stage 1" port work.
I also finished off the crank last night, so i'm ready to reassemble a bottom end and see what happens. I got the runout as close as I could, when it finally measured out to .0002ish PTO, .0000 on both center bearings, and .0003ish on the mag I was happy. That's just where it wanted to settle.
Pic, because why not. It's what I've got handy at the moment.
20190209_121107.jpg

I would go OEM on the seals for this thing. The WSM are not the same quality but close.

I am not sure on the red seals but the WSM ones use a little different rubber on the black ones. It feels a little more plasticy if that makes sense. I still use them on stock rebuilds but for anything more high performance I like the oem ones better. As you I haven’t had a WSM fail but I have seen plenty of the 25+ year old oem ones still holding pressure.

So what are you using to rebuild cranks? You have all the spacers, plates and stuff? I have always wanted to try it but only did outer bearings.

So what are you using to rebuild cranks? You have all the spacers, plates and stuff? I have always wanted to try it but only did outer bearings.

First big tool was a 50 ton press.. a small 20 ton would not cut it. It CAN take them apart, but totally not safe.

I had to make a few little custom tools to disassemble and build them, but nothing major. A press plate to fit in the crank webs to separate, and spacers to properly space the center webs. A couple of pipes cut to length to set the two outermost bearings. And I made a stand to measure the runout..
Other than that, just a lot of measuring, and dinging with a brass hammer.

[emoji849][emoji849][emoji849]

yeah, and this is what Dan really means...

LOL
I wish these were single cylinder cranks, that would be pud work. High is high, and low is low. On the two cylinder, low can be high and high can be sideways.

Haha, just busting your chops man! Build is looking good! I can't ever seem to find a good condition 97.5 around here, which is why I went with restoring that 97 last year you saw.

My preference was 97.5, 99, 97 but came down to what I could find cheap locally.

Haha, just busting your chops man! Build is looking good! I can't ever seem to find a good condition 97.5 around here, which is why I went with restoring that 97 last year you saw.

My preference was 97.5, 99, 97 but came down to what I could find cheap locally.

Oh I know, I'm just easily offended and not at all a sarcastic jerkbag. ;)

That 97 is gorgeous, it would be hard to replicate one that nice.
Tom Cronin has a pretty nice gray ski in St Louis that needs built, if you're still looking

Thanks Dan. I'm sure these GSX's will turn out to be beautiful as well. Then you can get those twins back in the rxx so I can ride that too lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back