RESTO Gray Ghost

Paul Bretz

Water Crafts
many 96 xp's
97 gsx
hx 800
I wonder if the cavitation issue was either the pitch of the leading edge or the lack of sealing from pump to pump shoe. Mine only had a o-ring that went around circumference of pump. Not between pump and shoe. I may use o-ring and a neoprene seal

DanSquires

Water Crafts
More skis than brains.
The small hub 155mm was desired by racers for a while back in the day. That weird looking impeller they had in there was made by Nu-Jet. It was(is) very fast but there were cavitation complaints off idle on some old forums. I have not run mine yet to compare personally.

The 98GSXL/GTXL MPEM is not a clean swap into the Ghost. It starts and runs good but does a long beep randomly and my VTS gauge is pegged straight up. I think I'm going to have to use the wiring from the 98GSX before I fry something. I lost a rear coil in the RXX the other day plugging a single coil MPEM into it (oops)
Is the ghost MPEM shot or are you just experimenting?

Matt Braley

Premium Member
Premium Member
Water Crafts
I can't keep up with it anymore. I've got some really cool skis!!
No it's fine but I wanted to use the 98GSX MPEM and throttle cable to eliminate the TPS. Now I'm seeing it affects other things. I was going to swap to the 98GSX wiring. I

Matt Braley

Premium Member
Premium Member
Water Crafts
Sorry to muck up your thread with my confusion Dan. The 97.5 wiring DOES work on the 98 MPEM. The random beeps are a low fuel warning and the pegged VTS gauge is just something mine does half the time. I drilled the 2 rivets in front of the seat and took out the amplifier and the TPS and carb solenoid came out with it.

DanSquires

Water Crafts
More skis than brains.
Sorry to muck up your thread with my confusion Dan. The 97.5 wiring DOES work on the 98 MPEM. The random beeps are a low fuel warning and the pegged VTS gauge is just something mine does half the time. I drilled the 2 rivets in front of the seat and took out the amplifier and the TPS and carb solenoid came out with it.
I have yet to even dig that far into the ski to trace the TPS, but if it's only controlling the carb solenoid, then cool, it's going away since the carbs get changed out anyways
Are you still running the reverse cooling? I think I'm going to switch that around to get the cool water to the head first.. probably did that for more EPA junk.

Matt Braley

Premium Member
Premium Member
Water Crafts
It's probably controlling timing also.

Yes I'm running the reverse cooling but I have not started tuning yet just break in putting around.

Matt Braley

Premium Member
Premium Member
Water Crafts
I could have adjusted the TPS and left it alone.

Yes the carbs must be upgraded.

Adsense

Usergroup

Administrator Moderator Premium Member