Got new battery. Now no start...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

sittin sidewayz

So I just got a new battery. Now the jetski wont start........ Its cranking (starter turning engine) but its not starting.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also It said low voltage on a new battery. I tested the battery with my multimeter and its at 12v..... actually a little over

I hooked the battery up to my charger anyways...

You probably just need a full charge on the battery, the battery should read about 13.5 volts when fully charged. Check the voltage across the battery when starting (load test), if its less than 10 volts the MPEM won't energize.

Also check the small ground wire going to the rear E-box make sure it's connected.

If you used Stabil in the gas the gas being left on shouldn't make any difference.

Lou

Lou is right. Let your charger fully charge the battery and then try again. My XPs will only start with a very strong, fully charged battery. Not 85% charged. Fully charged. 787 engines.

The static voltage does matter, but as mentioned above measure the voltage when cranking. If it falls below a certain threshold then computer ( MPEM ) will not come alive and allow ski to start.

Let's start there.

Also unscrew fuel tank fill cap, how does fuel smell?

Rob

If fuel is crap it will be difficult to start/fire off.

Did you pull choke? Verify spark?

Rob

You can check the manual maybe there is a torque setting for the spark plugs. I've always just tightened them by feel, snug them up and the about another 1/8 to 1/4 turn more.

Lou

Yeah, new plugs should be seated and then another 1/4 turn to crush down the copper washer, reinstalling plugs I use the German spec, gutentight

It finally turned over. it took choking it for about 30 sec. Once it started it idled kinda rough and if I hit the throttle it would die.

It sounds like you need to clean and maybe rebuild your carbs, maybe needles and seats. Did the ski start and run o.k. with the old battery?

Also does your ski still have the grey tempo fuel lines?

Lou

It sounds like you need to clean and maybe rebuild your carbs, maybe needles and seats. Did the ski start and run o.k. with the old battery?

Also does your ski still have the grey tempo fuel lines?

Lou

it did last season... Not the season...

Also last season I had the carbs rebuilt and the fuel lines replaced. It did have the tempo.

Dont think the mechanic cleaned the fuel selector switch.. Have a new one coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back