Gelcoat repair kit?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael211_2000

Ok I appear to have dinged the underside of my black hull against the trailer somehow, there's a chip under the bow that goes clear thru to the fiberglass I just noticed the other day. Eeek!

So I pulled out my trusty Gelcoat International SeaDoo 2006 Black repair kit today... to find it had hardened in the bottle since I used it almost 2 years ago! Oooops! :banghead:

I now find that Gelcoat International's website says they have suspended production of their OEM gelcoat matched repair kits, no date or time estimate given as to when they might restart production. :facepalm:

Anybody know of any other sources for color matched gelcoat repair kits for our beloved machines? Can I just put a dab of 5 minute epoxy over the chip for the time being to seal it so I can safely use my PWC without fear of water peeling the underside off? I think that's what I'm going to try for the moment, I can always grind the epoxy back out of the chip once I can get a proper gelcoat repair kit... but I'm open to other ideas here!

Thanks!

- Michael

I now find that Gelcoat International's website says they have suspended production of their OEM gelcoat matched repair kits, no date or time estimate given as to when they might restart production. :facepalm:

- Michael

Hey Michael-

It's my understanding that they are ugrading their facility and safety protocols which prompted the temporary shipping shutdown of their entire product line.
In the meantime Im keeping a couple tubes of JB WELD 'WaterWeld' handy. Stuff cures off white, so there sure wont be a problem locating it up against our black hulls...lol

I hope they are not changing the formula. CA is having problems with glues and epoxies. The new BS environmental rules have fuc$ things up. Contact cement does even work. Buy outside CA.

If its just black you need, any black will work. I caught a log that was submerged just below the surface with the sponson and dinged the hull a little in the same area down to the fiberglass. Just went to my local fiberglass shop and bought some gel coat, hardener, and black pigment. Matched the factory black seadoo color perfectly. Now on other colors you're not going to be so lucky.

Black comes in different shades, I didn't and don't want to have a patchwork of black spots if I can help it. But if they don't start taking orders again soon I'll consider other sources KK. (sigh!)

Suxs bout the log. :-(

- Michael

I wouldn't use the 5 minute stuff b/c I think it won't have enough time to soak into the DRY exposed fiberglass. Use an epoxy that takes longer and will absorb, you can keep it in place and shaped with a thin sheet of plastic film taped on, this will help minimize sanding, too.

I'm pretty sure Marine-Tex offers a black pigmented epoxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back