Hull Repair!…help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

fur_252

So I picked up this ski….what i feel was a great price but the hull need work. Kid must of ramped it off of a cliff and back into the water..hahah. He tried to repair it with something and smeared it everywhere and didn’t even try to sand it down. Im in the process of sanding it down right now. So most of the damage seems to be gelcoat but when it gets closer to the kneel of the ski looks like it needs more attention! I’m a noob when it comes to repairs like this but willing to learn! I’m in the process of getting color matched gelcoat for the ski. Any suggestions would be great on fixing this! Thanks

Attachments

• 23A1F44C-878D-4C6C-9638-0F8FDEF4A41A.jpeg
    23A1F44C-878D-4C6C-9638-0F8FDEF4A41A.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 668A72D6-7107-4C05-B5C5-948347F2EF90.jpeg
    668A72D6-7107-4C05-B5C5-948347F2EF90.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 31
It seems that it peeled a couple of layers of fiberglass didn’t penetrate through the hull! Low spot seems sturdy when pushing on it! Would (marine-tex, 3m marine high strength filler, or Bondo glass) work on this? If so which one is the best out of the 3 and added strength? Or would I have to relayer glass? I’m planning on gel coating it to original color if gelcote International still carries it!

That area is structural and I'm guessing if you push on it you will get some flex so you will need to use fiberglass mat with epoxy if you want a permanent repair that won't crack and leak after use. I suggest watching the West Systems epoxy repair videos.

Do you have any friends in the body shop business? Anyone familiar with Corvettes would probably be able to give you an overview of the process and what would be the best approach. They would/ should also know the strength factor... for sure. Boat refinishers would know the color gel coat part of the deal too before you waste any time or money w/trial and error.
I always recommend doing your research first, repairs second.

That area is structural and I'm guessing if you push on it you will get some flex so you will need to use fiberglass mat with epoxy if you want a permanent repair that won't crack and leak after use. I suggest watching the West Systems epoxy repair videos.
There is just little flex when pushing hard on the spot thats missing some layers. I was originally going to use marine Tex and then gelcoat but doing research gelcoat doesn’t always like to stick to epoxy. So then I was thinking of using 3m high strength filler then gelcoat. Ill be honest trying to save some time but then again I don’t want to be doing this repair again!

Do you have any friends in the body shop business? Anyone familiar with Corvettes would probably be able to give you an overview of the process and what would be the best approach. They would/ should also know the strength factor... for sure. Boat refinishers would know the color gel coat part of the deal too before you waste any time or money w/trial and error.
I always recommend doing your research first, repairs second.
I do got a friend that does auto body I’m going have to hit him up! Just don’t want to do this repair twice

If you don't use any mat, you will be doing it again. If you get any flex just by pushing on it, imagine what hitting a giant wave will do. I've done lots of hull repairs including fixing a hole the size of a football. West systems is the easiest and best I've found. Never had any real problems with gel coat sticking to epoxy if prepped properly. Gel kote intl can supply your exact color and gelcoat, they supply seadoo OEM.

If you don't use any mat, you will be doing it again. If you get any flex just by pushing on it, imagine what hitting a giant wave will do. I've done lots of hull repairs including fixing a hole the size of a football. West systems is the easiest and best I've found. Never had any real problems with gel coat sticking to epoxy if prepped properly. Gel kote intl can supply your exact color and gelcoat, they supply seadoo OEM.
Thanks for the reply’s thinking that I will throw some mat down! When preparing to gelcoat what grit are u roughing up the epoxy for the gelcoat to adhere too?

I ended up ordering west system epoxy system for the repair! Just wondering the prep for the gelcoat when the patch is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back