Gel coat repair question

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadooman55

Had a little accident with my 2002 gtx 4tec this weekend and there is a nice gash out of the side of my ski right past the "o" in seadoo and it tappers off twards the end of the sponson. it went completley through the gel coat enough to where i can see the fiber glass composite underneath. Does anyone know of the best way to fix this? i know west marine makes gel coat repair kits but i was worried about matching and blending the paint? any suggestions? thanks!

If you go to your local Searay Dealer, they sell a small Gel Coat Patch Repair Kit that are factory color matched. So, if you can find a Sea Ray with the same color as your Ski, you got an easy color match. The Gel Coat Patches sell for about $20, and are easy to use. When I had a big boat, I used often to hide the dock rash.

Clean the area (with a solvent), apply gel coat patch (follow instructions), cover with saran wrap, let dry overnight, then sand flush....polish and wax. Not hard at all....

I had horrible luck trying to use a West Marine Color Match Kit.

wow good to know i might talk to my local seadoo dealer and see what they do maybe get the numbers for the blue and i could use an epoxy resine to fill the gash then paint but i think a patch kit would work the best only hard part is matching the blue so it isnt noticable

I bought a gallon of black and half gallons of white and silver for my skis. Plan on fixing all the dings and dents when I put them up for winter. Bought it all from www. Bottom Paint .com

Are the scratches through the gel coat or just rub rash? im just worried that when i go to repair the gash the stuff wont bond right and with in a year youll see hair line cracks at where the patch is de-bonding.

seadooman
Your ski will look like new.May you please post a photo and we will tell you 1 of 3 ways to fix the scuff marks.We want to do it right

gelcoat.ca has the oem sea doo colors. They are the ones who sell it originally to sea doo. They sell the repair kit for like 50 bucks after shipping. It is a very easy repair. Look for the videos on youtube. It takes about 4 hours and 2 of that is waiting for it to dry.

In addition to Gelcote Int. there is also Spectrum Color.

Both of these companies color match your seadoo. I have used Spectrum Color several times and the color match has been dead on. They will also be about $20 cheaper for you after shipping.

You order online for Gelcote and have to order by phone for Spectrum.

wow i didnt know it was that easy but i will try to post pics up when i am home this weekend but basically collided with my buddy ran up on the nose of his ski and his handle bars went right into mine so you can kind of imagine what that gash looks like its pretty noticable even from 50ft. away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back