Fuel line replacement

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothsahn

I'm the proud owner of a 1996 GTS. I only paid $800. As per forum rules, I'm not saying how much I'm spending on repairing it. :)

I have the original OEM grey fuel lines and while the sea doo runs, it idles rough (and quits) but runs great at WOT when warmed up.

I'm not (yet) a mechanic, so explain like I'm five. I've seen a number of threads on fuel line replacement, but I have a question (below).

My plan:
I plan to replace the fuel and vent lines with 1/4" black automotive, clean out the fuel selector valve, replace the oil and fuel filters, and rebuild the carb. Impeller, wear ring, and carbon ring are all in great shape.

Question:
Do I need to carefully remove and reuse the OEM clamps, or can I get a different clamp? It looks like the OEM ones are quite a pain to get off, and many people just get rid of them.

I've heard that worm gear clamps work well, but I've also heard people say that can crack the plastic fittings beneath them. I've had people talk about using zipties, but that doesn't seem like a safe or professional looking solution. What do people recommend I use as clamps, how many would I really need, and where can I buy them? If someone has a link to where I can order them, that'd be fine. I'm fine with spending a little more money to have clamps that look professional, will last, are safe, and won't deteriorate. Cost matters, but quality, reliability, and safety are the primary concern.

This is a project that will teach you tons about your ski, how they work and be very satisfying (and frustrating at times).

Replace the clamps with stainless steel worm clamps. You cant reuse the factory clamps.

You also can't clean the fuel selector, buy a new one.

Take your time going through replacing lines one at a time. Remember to get the ones from the tank to the fuel selector.

Use genuine Mikuni parts for carn rebuild

If you are new, i would recommend taking one thing off at a time so you don't get mixed up! That can be a big headache if you hook something up to the wrong thing! Definitely a fun and very satisfying project to do the fuel lines! +1 on the work clamps. Factory ones suck just cut them. When you are cutting them or twisting them off be careful not to break the plastic nipple they are on (on the fuel unit in the tank for example)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back