Replacement Rave Housing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Just for fun someday I’m going to measure something with my Mitutoyo caliper and with my crappy tire caliper

Those sizes don't look accurate for the condition of the stem. I have worn ones that are much worse and still larger than (.390") That stem is dang near perfect.

@etemplet I bought aluminum exhaust valves for my '96 and '97 GSXs to replace the plastic ones that keep losing threads. The thread size on the aluminum valves is M8x1.25mm but it turns out the thread size on my rave stems is M8x1.00mm. Do you think it would work OK if I ran a M8x1.00mm tap into the aluminum valves to get them to screw onto the rave stems?

I'd see about sending the back before I started modifying them. What you really want is strong full threads which you wouldn't have if you retapped. To answer your question it would probably work fine. I'm gonna have to recheck the ones I bought now. It's been a while. LOL

@etemplet I bought aluminum exhaust valves for my '96 and '97 GSXs to replace the plastic ones that keep losing threads. The thread size on the aluminum valves is M8x1.25mm but it turns out the thread size on my rave stems is M8x1.00mm. Do you think it would work OK if I ran a M8x1.00mm tap into the aluminum valves to get them to screw onto the rave stems?
I recently bought some aluminum pisons myself, and I found a seller that has some with the 8x1.00mm threads. My set will probably arrive in the next two weeks. I'll let you know if it fits. Here is the link - 1 Sea Doo Ski Doo Aluminum 787 800 RFI 951 Exhaust Rave Valve Piston Seadoo Pwc | eBay

I recently bought some aluminum pisons myself, and I found a seller that has some with the 8x1.00mm threads. My set will probably arrive in the next two weeks. I'll let you know if it fits. Here is the link - 1 Sea Doo Ski Doo Aluminum 787 800 RFI 951 Exhaust Rave Valve Piston Seadoo Pwc | eBay
Thanks ReKeenan. I looked at about 20 sites after discovering I had the wrong thread size, and the only 1.00mm threads I found were in the country of Mali (and didn't ship to the US). The ones I bought on EBAY were only $19.88 a pair with free shipping, so I got the four with the 1.25mm threads for only $40. I tapped one the other day to 1.00mm to test and it screwed onto the rave stem pretty solid. I'm thinking that even without 100% threads from being tapped that the partial aluminum threads are still probable stronger than the threads in the plastic caps, so I think I'll tap these ones and give them a try next season. If they fail, I'll get the ones that you found. It's curious that BRP used different thread sizes in different years.

Hey guys, Sorry late for dropping into this thread, but this issue just occured on my 97XP for the first time. You can read my new thread here. I would appreciate any feedback on there.

To address questions brought up in this thread. Mine happened on the PTO RAVE valve. Blade threads pulled right out of the plastic valve cap. There were some slight signs of heat on the bottom of the cap, like hot exhaust was making it through.

I have only rebuilt the RAVEs once. I do not remember how long ago it was but seems like it was about 9 -10 years ago. When I did that rebuild, I had to replace everything and what I found out regarding wear was that not only the housing was worn in a oval shape, but the shaft definitely had wear into the shaft. Even in this shape, I never had a RAVE blade drop down into the piston. This time I did, but thank the good Lord it happened when the ski was not running. So did anyone find out a good tolerance on these measurements to know if they need to be replaced??

I have a tool just like BigJake's. I can measure mine when I get home this evening and post those measurements up.

Sorry, I didn't get back right away with the measurements. I got sick and then tested positive for c-19. This is not fun. However, started feeling well enough this afternoon to grab my gauge and measure. The valve that broke measured 0.3937 in and the housing measured 0.3976. I posted pictures over on my other thread . This does not seem to be much wear. Are these numbers in range of new ones (valves and housing)? Was a consensus ever derived for these? Should I plan on replace housing anyways? TIA.

Not sure what size you are looking at measuring but if it is the rave stem the condition is more important than the size. As long as it is smooth a few thousands aren't going to matter much as the lip seal will continue to work just fine. I'd say (.003") might be something to look at and (.005") is gonna make me go.... hmmmmmm. :D

The stems looked fine on mine, but they were SBT brand and one bladed broke in the middle. Therefore, I ordered 2 RAVE rebuild kits from OSD with OEM blades and piston caps. I am planning on continuing to use the existing housings.

Back