Frustration Setting In.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

CypherAZ

So we bought a used 96' Speedster, boat ran fine at first until the batteries died and had to be replaced. Replaced the batteries and the 5AMP fuse on the MPEM starts to blow. At the advice of our dealership we send the MPEM off to be repaired, someone named mike, think he used to be a member here. 2 weeks later we get the MPEM back Fedex, return to sender. I guess Mike just dropped off the face of the earth according to what I've seen here. So my wife takes our MPEM to work, she works for a chemical company here in phx, and goes about removing the potting from the MPEM so we can take a crack at it. We check all the diodes and they are all fine. So at the advice of our dealer we spent all this time trying to fix a problem they were 100% sure was the cause. Now we are back to square one I guess, anyone have any suggestions?

Your on do something....

WOW...you just might be the "NEW MAN", stud...
yah, there's a diode in there, that can be purchased at "Radio Shack" for 2 buks, in which that was the cause, so....If yours tested out ok, then disconnect the red and yellow wires from "rectifier" and see if still pops, if not, then then recheck with red or yellow unplugged first, if stops popping with red wire un-done, then rectifier bad, if stops with yellow un-unplugged, then stator assy bad and/or you have metal shavings in stator assy/flywheel, in which is causing the short.
I believe, I can speak for us all, and ask if you can 'KEEP" us posted on your findings.:cheers:

With it being "not riding" season, hopefully someone/s, can send you there "mpem" that has been repaired, so you have idea, as to the whereabouts on the mpem board, to locate the diode...

Potting......

How did she remove the potting. I'm curious because without destroying the board, my hammer and chiesel doesn't seem to do the trick......?

Did a resistance test on the Rectifiers this morning and got some promising results it would seem.

#1 - Showed Infinite current over both directions on the Rectifier
#2 - Showed Infinite in 1 direction and 20Ohms in the other direction

As for removing the potting, my wife tried to do a gas spec on the potting to determine a chemical solution to removing it. But the material is to dense to get a reading from her machine. So, heat gun + compressed air + very small screw driver.

Potting.....

I believe Mike, All Things Custom, removed it by slowly heating it in the oven, letting it go liquid and holding it there while he made repairs to the board.

As for your test, I have no idea of what kind of readings you should be looking for. There is no test for them.

Maybe I can get Kustom Karl to send me one of his dead ones and I can play with it to find "All Things Cusoms" solution to the amp blowing problem. Then, we could get back on track with these mpems rather than going broke buying new ones.......:cheers:

Seadoosource.com

They have some MPEM substitute units might try their web site - for other Sea Doo items too

ebay?........

Might as well buy one from ebay.

A used or "pulled" mpem is taking a chance. If the deal is to good to be true, chances are, it is.............

I'd rather spend the extra couple bucks to get a piece of mind to know I got one that worked the first time around. On a used, you have no idea on how many hours it's got on it.............:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back