For those using drop lights to help with freezing...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Lowe's to pick up a couple of drop lights with shatter-resistant bulbs to help keep a pair of 'doos safe during a current South MS freeze. While there stumbled on the "EasyHeat Plugin Thermostat" for $12- basically a small switched plug that turns ON at 38 DegF and then back off at 50 DegF. Pretty nifty if you don't want to run the lights 24/7 and you can't easily get to them (mine are 50 mins away at a camp)

Also, they had the plastic-bodies drop lights for $5 each - figured the plastic might be a better choice in the engine compartment.

Don't laugh!....

electric blankets are on sale at Fall-Apart for 29 bucks .... :rofl:

Man, don't laugh at me!... I got my GTX under a queen sized electric blanket now. It actually dropped down into the 20's this week. I got it from the closet before the wifey could put it on the bed. Now she's looking through the house, trying to figure out where she put it last year.......:rofl: But my GTX is warm!

I haven't seen those easy heat plugin thermostats. That's a cool idea! I didn't have to worry about my boat this winter, the motor is on the shop bench........:cheers:

Man, don't laugh at me!... I got my GTX under a queen sized electric blanket now. It actually dropped down into the 20's this week. I got it from the closet before the wifey could put it on the bed. Now she's looking through the house, trying to figure out where she put it last year.......:rofl: But my GTX is warm!

I haven't seen those easy heat plugin thermostats. That's a cool idea! I didn't have to worry about my boat this winter, the motor is on the shop bench........:cheers:

I hear ya, the only reason I brought it up is that mine are under two electric blankets and 1 nice size regular blanket to help retain the heat. It is darn cold up here in Atlanta. I just walked out in my garage and the electric heater I had going out there full blast didnt seem to even make a dent for heating.... That is until I stepped outside, and it was even colder yet... :(

Crikey

Well, I hope those 60W bulbs are going to do the trick - I never thought about the electric blanket!

After reading some other posts on here I ended up pulling the rear seat trays, dropping the light in underneath the rear seat and then putting the rear seat back on but wedging it open slightly with a block of wood.

I really thought I could get away without the antifreeze portion of winterizing since I live on the gulf coast, but with lows in the teens I guess I was wrong. :(

They also had these electric pipe warmer things that go along with the Easy Heat thermostat plug but I didn't want to spend that much money on a wild guess. ($30-$40 a piece)

I also used a 3rd drop light and hung it outside so that I can see when the thermostat is on/off on via webcam at the camp:

cam_2.jpg

Gulf Coast...

Well, I hope those 60W bulbs are going to do the trick - I never thought about the electric blanket!

After reading some other posts on here I ended up pulling the rear seat trays, dropping the light in underneath the rear seat and then putting the rear seat back on but wedging it open slightly with a block of wood.

I really thought I could get away without the antifreeze portion of winterizing since I live on the gulf coast, but with lows in the teens I guess I was wrong. :(

They also had these electric pipe warmer things that go along with the Easy Heat thermostat plug but I didn't want to spend that much money on a wild guess. ($30-$40 a piece)

I also used a 3rd drop light and hung it outside so that I can see when the thermostat is on/off on via webcam at the camp:

Yeah, I hear ya!.... I thought being on the Gulf Coast would save me. I rarely winterize. But I saw this cold front blast coming so I got out there and did a "quicko" winterize on the GTX. The boat motor is in my shop so, no worries there. I usually have a small portable heater in the engine compartment of the boat. I remove the center piece between the cover and engine so I can leave the cover cracked just a bit to breath. I do a few other safety things to ensure there is no combustables to ignite.

It's gotten down right cold here. Last night it was in the mid 20's and they are forcasting even colder temps this weekend. Fightin with the wifey right now cause she's comfortable and I'm freezing. Should have known better to marry someone from New York!!!!!!!!:rofl:

No need for a light or an electric blanket. Winterize it properly and you're good to 40 below.

Chester

:agree: Your lights and electric blankets are a great ideas...:rofl:

What do you guys use for life jackets in the summer, plastic milk bottles...:rofl:

If you just winterized it the right way to begin with you wouldn't have to worry about the "FIRE" hazard the lights and electric blankets produce. The quick freeze for less than 2 hours it might work on occasion, like we get in SW Florida once a year, but in cold climates where it will last for days or weeks, do yourself a favor and do it right. Here's something to think about...does your insurance cover blanket or light bulb failure? What if it burns down the house at the same time.
It kinda makes you think about that $10.00 electric blanket, or that $2.00 light bulb quick fix.:ack:

Karl

Last edited by a moderator:
So far so good..... I went out to the garage last night and gave them a good look. One thing I noticed is my seats aren't getting rock hard from the cold, so that might be a plus. :cheers:

:agree: Your lights and electric blankets are a great ideas...:rofl:

What do you guys use for life jackets in the summer, plastic milk bottles...:rofl:

If you just winterized it the right way to begin with you wouldn't have to worry about the "FIRE" hazard the lights and electric blankets produce. The quick freeze for less than 2 hours it might work on occasion, like we get in SW Florida once a year, but in cold climates where it will last for days or weeks, do yourself a favor and do it right. Here's something to think about...does your insurance cover blanket or light bulb failure? What if it burns down the house at the same time.
It kinda makes you think about that $10.00 electric blanket, or that $2.00 light bulb quick fix.:ack:

Karl

Normally it doesnt last for days or weeks here on the gulf coast, at least in my 8 year experience... I have mine in my garage, and its probably a bit above freezing at night, that garage door is not opening until it warms up a bit lol

Plastic milk bottles

For those of you who are using lights and electric blankets................
Plastic milk bottles are only effective as a personal flotation device if the lids are ON and SECURE !!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
DAWG

Dont be so hard on them, Their ski's are their babies to them. Until they break down, Then they have other words that they call them. :cheers:
For those of you who are using lights and electric blankets................
Plastic milk bottles are only effective as a personal flotation device if the lids are ON and SECURE !!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
DAWG

Just kiddin around....

Yeah, I hear ya!.... I thought being on the Gulf Coast would save me. I rarely winterize. But I saw this cold front blast coming so I got out there and did a "quicko" winterize on the GTX. The boat motor is in my shop so, no worries there. I usually have a small portable heater in the engine compartment of the boat. I remove the center piece between the cover and engine so I can leave the cover cracked just a bit to breath. I do a few other safety things to ensure there is no combustables to ignite.

It's gotten down right cold here. Last night it was in the mid 20's and they are forcasting even colder temps this weekend. Fightin with the wifey right now cause she's comfortable and I'm freezing. Should have known better to marry someone from New York!!!!!!!!:rofl:

I wasn't serious when I said I used an electric blanket, that was just for fun. Here in the deep south, we don't normally have to winterize because it only freezes maybe 1 to 5 times through the winter season. I agree with Chester, you can avoid all this by winterizing but I can't see doing this everytime I take the boat out during these months. That's why I use the heater.

The only reason you should be using the drop light or heater is if you don't winterize. Because of the extended double cold front that is in my area, I did winterize the GTX. I'll probably be back on the river in a couple weeks. After that, if I get a day or two cold snap, then it's back to the heater.

If you choose to do one of these steps to protect from freezing, you need to be well aware of the boat/ski's fuel system. Does it have any leaks? A leak could cause the engine compartment to fill with explosive vapor. The heater or drop light could ignite these vapors causing an explosion.

When I do this, I have my heater sitting in a way that it is not directly pointing at the engine. I also have it sitting on a stone surface that I made just for the boat. I know my fuel system is tight, has no leaks. I also use a small piece of wood to wedge open the engine cover and remove the middle insert. Then, I have a boat cover over the top.

So, keep in mind, if you live up north or in an area that snows or is below freezing most of the winter season, use anti freeze and winterize properly. You won't need the light or heater.

Linkage and moisture! I also use the drop light or heater to keep the engine bay from building moisture. I use the drop light in the summer months too. The humidity here is off the charts. It's so high, I collect a half gallon of water in my bilges by weeks end (that's somewhat of an exaggeration). If I don't, my linkages get stiff, and with the added moisture. I could oil it down but I work on it so much, I hate the film on it...........:cheers:

I'm in North MS and I winterize w. antifreeze, but lately I put the drop light in the enginge compartment as added precaution. It has been below freezing the past week, so that is the reason for that..Never thought about heating the inside to keep my vinyl seats from freezing in my Speedster boat. I am contemplating that now...

Seats...

I actually take the seats off the GTX and store them in the house. I have also purchased one of those small ceramic heaters from walmart. They are thermostatically controlled. You can set it inside your boat (I have an insulated block under my heater, then I set the temp on the heater to about 60*F.

The boat is covered so a good bit of the heat remains. I cracked one of my seats the first winter I had it. That's when I got the idea to keep them limber by heat.

I've read posts from many members who say, you don't need a drop light, you don't need a heater, you only have to winterize, your engine wont' freeze, don't put an electric blanket on it,.....

This is a forum. As members, there is no real wrong way to do things. Your here seeking advice as to what everyone else is doing. Some may only winterize, some my park their XP in the living room by the couch. So, it's all in what you as the member want to do that makes you want to ask the question as to what everyone else is doing.

:cheers:

I actually take the seats off the GTX and store them in the house. I have also purchased one of those small ceramic heaters from walmart. They are thermostatically controlled. You can set it inside your boat (I have an insulated block under my heater, then I set the temp on the heater to about 60*F.

The boat is covered so a good bit of the heat remains. I cracked one of my seats the first winter I had it. That's when I got the idea to keep them limber by heat.

I've read posts from many members who say, you don't need a drop light, you don't need a heater, you only have to winterize, your engine wont' freeze, don't put an electric blanket on it,.....

This is a forum. As members, there is no real wrong way to do things. Your here seeking advice as to what everyone else is doing. Some may only winterize, some my park their XP in the living room by the couch. So, it's all in what you as the member want to do that makes you want to ask the question as to what everyone else is doing.

:cheers:

What a great idea, why not replace the couch with the Seadoo.. I'd watch the game from the seat of the Doo any day of the week.. :rofl: If ya have a wife parking the Doo in the living room might get ya kicked out of the house.. :cheers:

Motorcycle...?

What a great idea, why not replace the couch with the Seadoo.. I'd watch the game from the seat of the Doo any day of the week.. :rofl: If ya have a wife parking the Doo in the living room might get ya kicked out of the house.. :cheers:

Been there, done that!.... I always brought my motorcycle in the house when the weather was bad. I'd put down a 4X8 sheet of ply, a bed sheet and park my bike on it. Yeah, I could kick back and watch the game but the seat was so comfy, I'd usually fall asleep....(especially if I was watching NASCAR)..... :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back