First time fishing on my ski

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rotsen423

Was yesterday not have good luck but we having fun just my girlfriend catch a 5 pound cat fish and we throw away back to the water, hope next weekend have a good weather and try again uploadfromtaptalk1456767183837.jpguploadfromtaptalk1456767203659.jpg

Thanks, if I do by my self I know u can do it, yesterday after go fishing I go and buy another rod, so this week maybe make 2 or 3 more rod holder :)

275.jpg

Fishing off a pontoon gives you a little more room [emoji1]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Rosten423, we hold a patent on the old cooler and basket design that's popular right now and when we went to market, not 1 insurance company would give us liability insurance because it blocked the egress from the water back onto the machine, so we went back to the drawing board and came up with this patented design, try, try again I guess. The insurance company might have been right as there was just an incident 2 months ago in South Africa where a fisherman fell off and a passing boat had to rescue the guy because he couldn't get back on his PWC, I only found out because the boat radioed the coast guard and there was a report filed. The Maverick bracket design does not block the rider from getting out of the water, we use catch bags and saddle bags to store our gear and fish on ice. The other design with the chrome tubing makes the machine top heavy like crazy, it's expensive, hard to get back on and I would cry if I had to drill holes into my investment.

Tite lines buddy. If you see anything you like, Handle Bar Bag is the best addition I've made this year, let me know your from this site and we'll knock off 10%.

Patents (for the most part) aren't worth the paper they are printed on. When I was a research chemist... half my day was figuring out how to get around them.

Please, by no means are my comments a reflection on the produts... I'm just saying the money and time aren't worth it. Besides... when a Chineese company wants to reproduce it... and then sell over ebay, or direct... there's nothing you can do about it.

Last thing....

It's a very nice rig, but if you want to pimp your products... you need to talk to the owners about being a supporting vendor. (hfgreg)

Thanks for the sunshine Dr., patents do work, as we have already stopped one guy from knocking off a like product, chemically patents might not be any good, as even a slight change can warrant a new design, but mechanically they do. It's like tire patterns, you can't patent a pattern anymore, there were so many of them off my an inch, they shut the door on it. Sales on an item like this are so low that nobody wants litigation, its just not worth it, especially when they are obviously infringing and will have to cover everyone's lawyer costs plus give up all the money they made in sales, who could be bothered, so I'm happy we went through the expense. I'm an engineer by trade, so except for the claims, (which is the important part) I wrote the patent, saved tons of cash, anyone reading this, that's how you keep your patent cost down, most of a patent is easy, just hire an attorney to do the claims. Plus what dealer/distributor wants to be sued for something like this cause they are selling Chinese crap, none I know of, first, they're to busy to be assholes, and we offer good margins, so why, and they have a reputation to think of, who wants to be the guy that's getting sued because they were ripping a fellow business person off importing jobs from Asia, only a dick that's looking to get sued?

And I would consider advertising here, but I've had very little feed back other than people like you telling me to buy advertising, this might not be the place to advertise, I'll share the videos we do, but if it offends people, I will gladly stop.

Please stay... our fishing section is slow. If you want to share vids and your adventures... that's fine. But, adding a link to your shop is in violation of the rules.

As far as the response being slow... well that's 2 fold. 1) We don't have a good fishing PWC following. But that will change if knowledgeable people post. Heck... I make posts sometimes just to help traffic, and spark conversation. (especially during the winter) 2) It's winter, and the majority of the country has put their toys away. When spring hits... this place will have hundreds, or even thousands of new posts a day.

So... stick around... and give your evaluation on response, and traffic a look once the weather gets warm. At that point, you can decide. But, just like with protecting your products to make money... this place needs $$$ to run, and that comes from support. (but it's always free to hang out and BS with others)

With that said... there are a few people who have developed products, but were very active long before they made that product. In those cases the "Supporting Vendor" was covered by their helpfulness to others prior to selling. A good example is in the Mercury section. We allow one member to sell his extended ride plate, because he's been a member for a long time, and answers questions. Also, there are a few guys who sell used parts, and basically "Pay" by answering questions.

Now... on the point of me bringing "Sunshine" (lol).... I'm a realist. And, sometimes I will seem harsh because of it. (Drives my wife nutz) Most of the patents I worked with were mechanical patents. I was a toner chemist, and I had to figure out a way to get around a patent normally associated with cartridge, or bottle that the toner was dispensed from. There are a few things to look for.

1) Prior art: This is when I can prove that you didn't "Invent" the actual product. a simple picture on the internet these days works.

2) Too generic: This one is a little harder to describe... but it would be something like Seadoo patenting "blue PWC." Basically the patent covers too many possibilities, that aren't the actual product.

3) Claims that depend on each other: Toward the back of your patent, there are the claims. In a lot of cases #1 will extend to claim #2... and so on. If I can drop #1... the rest fall regardless, just because the way it's written. (even if it's a clear violation of the others) This is a case of "a lawyer put a comma in the wrong place."

4) Simple change: I made some simple model aircraft brakes, and was called out on them. BVM had a patent for "O-ring Brakes", but his patent used O-rings, and square rings. I used X-rings (4 lobe O-rings) and other people used "Bands". both were clearly out of the patent, even though the device worked the same.

Anyway....... Sorry that got off topic. If you want to talk about it more, I would be more than happy to share the things I've learned over the years in the off topic section, or via PM.

To end on topc...

Stick around, and teach us about PWC fishing, and see how things go. Then evaluate if you want to be a supporting vendor once the weather warms up.

Hi Dr. Honda
When it's winter in the northern hemisphere don't forget it's summer down here. New Zealand and Oz and I presume other southern hemisphere countries have a big Jetski community.
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back