First Sping Starting Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgiffune

I seem to have this issue every year, but this year is a bit worse, and two times the trouble since I bought a 97 SPX at the end of last year (the other is a 95 XP). They are both doing the essentially the same thing...turning over, won't start after sitting all winter.

Both have had the fuel lines replaced, carbs rebuilt, new spark plugs, good compression. Full tanks of gas in the fall, with Stabil added. Both cranked up fine at the end of last season, although the 95 needed a little coaxing (I think the battery was on its last leg).

I didn't have the batteries in, so I was using cables to my vehicle and jumping off of that (the truck wasn't running). I sprayed a little starter fluid in the 95 and it fired for a second presumably burning off the fluid.

My guess is that I'm not getting fuel into the engine. Suggestions at this point?

I would mix up a little fuel and oil, and put it in a bottle, so you can just spray it down the carbs. a small sniff of starter fluid is OK... but since there is no oil in it... too much is not good.

If you feed it a little fuel... it may clear out after a few seconds of running.

With that said... you may want to check for an air leak in the water separator, or a fuel valve that is plugged up.

Thanks Doc! I'll give that a go today. It really seems like the fuel flow just needs to be 'jump started' after sitting. The SPX hasn't run since the carb rebuild, so I know everything is bone dry.

Not sure what was going on with this. Took off the carburetor on the 95, re-adjusted the idle screw and the hi and lo speed screws (not sure if they were out or not, but I put them to spec), and it started right up. Put the new-in-October battery back in the 97, and it started right up. Finicky old things.

If they are that fickle... then you could remove the choke, and put in a primmer. If they are working well... even if the system is dry... they should draw fuel, and fire after 5 or 10 seconds of cranking.

I've actually considered the primer on the 95 XP, but I thought the reviews were mixed. It's been very hard to start ever since I had someone rebuild the carburetors last year. I'm thinking about replacing the check valves in the fuel pump. Maybe they got bent or aren't seating correctly? It just doesn't seem to draw fuel off the bat like it should. It used to start with the touch of the button, but hasn't since the carb rebuild.

What are your thoughts doc?

When you or whoever rebuilt the carbs did they use oem mikuni carb kits??? If they used aftermarket kits(wonderosa brand) that might be your problem or the pop off pressure is changed and out of spec...

I bought a 96GSX last fall and apparently the previous owner put new carbs. on the ski. They're the newer style mikuni with the accelerator pump, they're the tits (oops am I allowed to say that). It's the easiest starting smoothest running SeaDoo I've ever owned. Also I've got a huge no wake zone to get to open water, it doesn't bog down at all. I'm gonna get a set for my 96XP probably in the fall.

Lou

Finally got the 97 SPX out for the first time this weekend. Ran flawlessly....I couldn't have asked for better. I was a little surprised I didn't have more bottom end than my 95 XP, although the XP has an intake great and the 97 is stock. Lake was a bit choppy with holiday traffic to test top end, that will have to wait until next weekend. One thing that caught me by surprise is the HUGE sound difference between the 717 and 800 engines.

149.jpg

150.jpg

Thanks! The 95XP is like new...garage kept since the day I bought it in 96. The 97SPX (bought in October) is a little more road worn, but still in great shape. Hoping a buff and polish will get it close to the 95.

Just be careful buffing around the decals. SeaDoo discontinues the decals and many other parts very quickly compared to the Japanese brands so the decals can not be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back