Faulty fuel gauge - ontario fix

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

wildlifeguy

Good day everyone,

I've been looking online at the forums on faulty fuel gauge and self repair diagnosis and repair. I'm not really mechanically inclined - yet, so I was wondering if anyone in Ontariairairio has completed this repair and would be interested in a few bucks and beer to help me with it, or maybe just more beer?

Let me know. It's not the taking apart steps thats scary... it's the putting back together that a little intimidating.

First of all, what is the problem?
Sometimes only the float is bad.
Is this on a boat or a ski?

Repost and please and put your watercraft(s) in your profile

Great thread by the way. Still, not sure how my old eyes or big fingures (it's a cures at times) would be able to tackle this.

Can you not see you're fuel tank when you open the engine cover? On my Challenger (single engine) it's right underneath the seats, and I could clearly see how much fuel was in there.
If you want to run some test to determine what has failed with your fuel gauge (resistance reading, float sunk, magnets gone) I'll help you with the repair, providing we're not working in a gravel driveway in the middle of January. :D

full tank or empty over winter? conceses please....

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the offer and yes as discussed earlier this week I will take you up on the offer:cheers:http://www.seadooforum.com/images/smilies/new/cheers2.gif

I'll double check the fuel tank location, I think I'll be able to see as well.
I'm actually taking it out one more time today.... it's a balmy 5C! Draggin my wife with me. I'm actually completing a final count on shoreline bird activity for 2011 in half decent weather.

btw, what is the rule on fuel storage overwinter... full tank or empty. I'm getting a mix of reviews on this and the mechanic who is going to winterize the engines says full tank to avoid condensation. I use premium fuel in the boat as did previous owner.
Any thoughts?

Honestly, if you put anything hIgher than 87 you're throwing money away. These boats were designed to run on 87 so you won't benefit from going higher unless you've done something to require higher octane.
Fill the tank, add Stabil or something equivalent and that should treat the fuel system.

Back