1994 GTS Detailed troubleshooting after dying but still not working

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks 1of500, will try.

POPPS, I watched this video and my ski doesn't exhibit this problem. Both pistons return fully to the top and seem to be timed well when I push on them. Is that test good enough to show it isn't the crankshaft? Thanks!

End of spark plug wires where they meet the plugs trimmed back. No difference. Going to order a coil today. If it’s none of things then I am at a loss.

Try your thermo sensor by disconnecting it and starting motor. If motor revs up and runs fine the sensor is bad. I was having same symptoms your having drove me nuts for a year until I figured out it was the sensor

The temperature sensor doesn’t do anything for the running of the ski. The only thing it does is grounds the beeper which is just an alarm.

Not sure,,,did you try cutting the plug wires back 1/4 inch?,,,have you done a compression test?,,,is the shorter of the 2 plug wires long enough to reach the back cylinder,,,if yes,swap them,,,start it,,,and remove the plugs as you did ,,,if the problem chases your wires,,then yes,,,its electrical,,,the coils on those fire at the same time,,,if you have the same issue,,then ,probably its an engine fault.

Lots of responses, thank you.

- I did rebuild the carb and I think it is working because it instantly starts -- but runs badly.
- Using starting fluid with lubrication, pouring some fuel in the cylinders, and using the throttle when running does not affect how it is running.
- Compression test was 130'ish front and 140 rear. Not great but also shouldn't be the cause of my problem.
- Something is up with the spark -- I can pull the rear spark plug without it changing how it runs. When I switch it to the front it makes the same behavior.
- I did cut back the plug wires and it didn't change the behavior.
- With the top off I can see the pistons rise and fall to the same positions -- so I don't think the crank is bad.

New coil on the way. Will let you know how it goes.

You guys are awesome. Replaced the coil and it started up immediately. Got it buttoned up and launched on the lake last night. Ran amazing. For anyone reviewing this thread if you aren't having any difference with the engine running and using the throttle or spraying starting fluid -- it's most likely the coil.

Time to enjoy the Seadoo! Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back