F-'n Doctors !!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Dr Honda

OK... there were a bunch of problems with the delivery of our second kid... one of witch is that the wife was supposed to get her tubes tied... and the doctor didn't do it. Well... we went in yesterday for a "Quick, Out-patient" procedure... and it turned into an all day event. They got her tubes tied... but after a couple hours of observation... she was still bleeding too much, and they took her back to the operating room to fix the problem.

So... now, her recovery went from being one day of taking it easy... to at least 2 days in bed. :banghead:

SO............

a) she shouldn't even be having the second recovery (actually 3rd, but that's a different story) since it was supposed to be done after the baby came out. Not to mention, it's a waste of everyones time.

b) if this kind of bleeding is possible... why wouldn't they check for it before taking her out of the operating room the fist time? This is like a mechanic that rebuilds a set of carbs, and doesn't water test the ski.

I'm not an ambulance chaser... but with all the problems (Dr related) I really am thinking about seeking council on this. Giving birth shouldn't have a 6 week recovery.

Sorry to hear that Tony. I hope she gets out soon.

You mentioned an analogy that I've thought for a while. When they start lacking compassion, doctors are nothing more than a glorified mechanic. If they don't take the time to really follow up and be thorough, it's like taking your car/boat/pwc into a bad shop; they can make things worse.

Sounds like a case where consulting an attorney should definitely be considered. Good luck to you and your wife.

I hope it all works out to the best for you. I know, the Dr.'s left a sponge in my sister after her surgery and guess what, she was not allowed to sue. There is some clause in there that states if it's part of the procedure or something, it's not a sue-able offense. They said it had to be gross negligence. I told my sister her lawyer was paid off by the Dr... because I never heard of such b/s...

BTW Tony, it's easier and less complicated for the male to be fixed, than it is for the woman. After our second was born, I got fixed. I was in and out in an hour. There is a myth that it destroys your sex drive... and thats what it is, a myth.

one of witch is that the wife was supposed to get her tubes tied... and the doctor didn't do it. Well... we went in yesterday for a "Quick, Out-patient" procedure... and it turned into an all day event. They got her tubes tied... but after a couple hours of observation... she was still bleeding too much, and they took her back to the operating room to fix the problem.

b) if this kind of bleeding is possible... why wouldn't they check for it before taking her out of the operating room the fist time? This is like a mechanic that rebuilds a set of carbs, and doesn't water test the ski.

I'm not an ambulance chaser... but with all the problems (Dr related) I really am thinking about seeking council on this. Giving birth shouldn't have a 6 week recovery.

Well, I would like to hear the MD's side of it. Sometimes they either forgot or there is a medical reason. Our dog had eyelid surgery and we asked if they can do a teeth cleaning while she is down. They later on told me it was not good to have tartar spray around when the eye area is open to infection from the surgery. So again, without hearing their side of it, how is anyone to make an educated guess?

How would you suggest they check it? Pressurize her blood vessels and see if she leaks? Also, anesthesia isn't as easy as it looks. There are many things we don't quite understand but they use it because they have tested it. So sometimes it might not go as planned. As such, they may want the patient to be up instead of down for any length of time. You can leave your jetski sit in water all day long to see if it leaks. Do you want your wife in a medical induced coma for longer than necessary? That is why they probably sent her to PACU after surgery for observation. Sure, you can check and see if it is leaking but if it is not, what do you suggest? Leave her on for a few more hours to see if a leak develops? In the meantime she is unconscious?

Of course council is going to tell you that there is a suit if at all possible. They sue the doctor then settle. This is part of why our medical malpractice is so high and it reflects in the doctor bill.

You mentioned an analogy that I've thought for a while. When they start lacking compassion, doctors are nothing more than a glorified mechanic. If they don't take the time to really follow up and be thorough, it's like taking your car/boat/pwc into a bad shop; they can make things worse.

Sounds like a case where consulting an attorney should definitely be considered. Good luck to you and your wife.

Medicine is a job not a passion or a hobby. Obviously you want to do a job as best as you can but I can't understand why people think of it as a holy cause. It's a job. I expect no less or more of my MD. It isn't a holy calling any more than a mechanic.

First of all
Dr Honda.I hope all goes very well for you and you wife and newborn
Secondly
AKLIM
What you said is pretty ordinary about a doctor not having a passion for medicine.Why would you go and study for 15 years of your life "just to have a job".If it is just a job for them,I'd bet they would not get many patients.As for mechanics doing it "just for the job" have a look on this site for starters.There is mechanics and people from all walks of life that are HELPING other people because they have a passion for it.Not to make a quick dollar out of it.It's a passion and it all comes from WANTING to help.Not because you have too.Me?I will help anyone I am able to.Because I want to and I can.

Wishing you and your wife the best. Times like this really puts things in perspective. Our little problems with our skis are very minor in comparison.

Best Wishes

Lou

Why would you go and study for 15 years of your life "just to have a job".If it is just a job for them,I'd bet they would not get many patients.

As for mechanics doing it "just for the job" have a look on this site for starters.There is mechanics and people from all walks of life that are HELPING other people because they have a passion for it.Not to make a quick dollar out of it.It's a passion and it all comes from WANTING to help.Not because you have too.Me?I will help anyone I am able to.Because I want to and I can.

You obviously don't hang around them much. Sure, they will say a lot of nice words. Go listen to a politician. He too says "I feel your pain" and all that crap. I don't believe it. When you actually get down to the meat and bones, it is an enterprise to them. Yes, they like it and can do it better than most other fields. Yes, they take pride in their work like you and I do but at the end of the day, it is to make money and have a living.

Yes, I want to help but it doesn't mean that is my first and foremost concern. I steer myself in the direction of a job where I have the aptitude and my attitude works in my favor. Personally, if I could, I'd be retired on a beach. Looking on this site is skewed. There are many more mechanics out there that are just doing it for a job. Yes, there are a few that want to help you and their gain is not financial but in other senses. After all, payment can be in a different coin, not always cash.

On asking around, many OB-Gyns, because of your wife's age, don't like to sterilize it on the same day. Quite often it is because of the permanency of the procedure. Go for a sex change. It isn't something they just schedule an appointment and do the next week. You go thru lots of checks and they make absolutely sure that is what you want and it helps you. Why? Because they don't want you to come back tomorrow and say "Gee, Doc. I kinda changed my mind. Can we sew my wiener back and remove the implants?" Some see it as a hormonal issue. When you give birth, there are a lot of hormones raging around and it might not be good to do it when you are emotional. At least that is the impression some OB-Gyns have.

I did ask about the leaking. Unless they are bleeding right now, it is VERY difficult to know for sure what it will do in 2 hrs. Unfortunately a human cannot be hooked up to diagnostic equipment, read a code, replace a sensor and be happy. Best they can do is sew her up and observe her, which is where PACU comes in. In a Jetski, you can put it in a tank for testing or you can run the motor for a couple of minutes with a hose. Not so with a human. As I asked, how long do you want her open for them to observe? Can they keep her open for 2 hrs? Sure. You probably won't want to but they can. PACU is like your test tank. If she does well there, they will transfer her out to other places or discharge.

AKLIM
Mate!I think you missed the boat on this thread.
It's not about he,they ,her or it.
It's about a guy here that a lot of people feel for and respect.

Hi guys,

Sorry... I didn't mean for this to turn into a debate. I was just venting.

I was going to respond to a bunch of things... but in the end, I think I will just let my original post stand.

Thanks for the well wishes.

FYI... the wife is healing, and the baby is doing fine.

That's great, in the scheme of things, that's what really counts, BTW, boy or girl?

Lou

That's great, in the scheme of things, that's what really counts, BTW, boy or girl?

Lou

Little girl. She was 8Lb, 10oz, when born... and I think she is up to 10 Lbs now. (it will be 5 weeks tomorrow)

The wife took this picture over the weekend. AND... I just noticed something....... Check my shirt ! :hurray:

26.jpg

Looking at that picture... I noticed something. The Friggin' kid has more hair than me. :boxing_smiley:

Congrats on the new addition. All of life's ups and downs seem minor when you look into your childs innocent eyes. Glad that your wifey and little one are dooing well.

PS Glad the little one takes after Mommy in the looks department JK::lols:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony, Glad mama and baby are doing well! Not to hijack the thread, but. I've had a staph infection on my leg for a bit over a month and am on my 3rd round of antibiotics and wound care...If dr would have given me an antibiotic shot in the beginning; I'd be happily splashing in the lake by at least 2 weeks. Also looking at the picture; these are my two pictures on my desk one is my son and I when I had hair color and not grey and he at 4yrs. My son now 18 still kisses me when he leaves and goes to school! The other is at the launch of STS-130 (Endeavour) another thing you just can't describe. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    698.7 KB · Views: 16
Congrats man! Sounds like a very healthy baby. My little girl was 6 lbs 1 oz when she was born. I had to go get premie baby clothes for her as the 0-3 months were sleeping bag on her.

Gonna look for that picture of her first boat ride!!

What did you name her?

Tony, Glad mama and baby are doing well! Not to hijack the thread, but. I've had a staph infection on my leg for a bit over a month and am on my 3rd round of antibiotics and wound care...If dr would have given me an antibiotic shot in the beginning; I'd be happily splashing in the lake by at least 2 weeks. Also looking at the picture; these are my two pictures on my desk one is my son and I when I had hair color and not grey and he at 4yrs. My son now 18 still kisses me when he leaves and goes to school! The other is at the launch of STS-130 (Endeavour) another thing you just can't describe. :thumbsup:

Just came across this thread.
Tony, congrats on the baby girl and glad your wife is ok. Great picture. I was expecting a Seadoo shirt on the baby too. Or at least some Steeler apparrel, for God sake man you're a Pittsburgher :)

Fractus, be very happy that you have such a good relationship with your 18 yr old son that he kisses you goodbye. Your post brought back a bad memory for me. A LONG time ago, When I was 20, going to college and living at home, I was going upto Penn State for the weekend for a football game, as I was walking out the door I looked at my mother and suddenly had this very strange urge to kiss her goddbye. Strange because I had not done so in many years as I thought I was too old and too cool for such a thing. I've regrettted ever since, not acting on that urge, I kept walking out the door. It was the last time I saw my mother alive. She was killed in a car accident 2 days later. Folks, cherish your loved ones, life is very unpredictable.

Back