Engine Temp light and gone into Limp mode. Two separate issues?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear there's no such thing as limp mode on a '96 SPX but am suspicious there are two different unrelated things going on. Read a bunch of the threads and found one with similar symptoms. Starts easy, idles thru No Wake Zone, runs fast as hell for awhile then cuts out to low RPMs. The engine temp warning light came on. Still allows me to idle back to the ramp and starts up fine with full throttle like it's flooded. When it's idling I can kill it with the choke. Didn't feel like it was running hot.

The tread I found said to replace the Rectifier which I have since it's not charging the battery. Also said to maybe replace the coil...

It's a '96 SPX with the 717. Has a bypassed oiler (just plugged up with bolt). Been sitting for 2 seasons. Replaced the fuel lines, plugs, cleaned the tank, checked the fuel selector, rebuilt jet pump and pulled the Carb apart to have a look. The carb was supposedly rebuilt but I took it apart to have a look and replaced the plastic fuel baffle/membrane (didn't need to long story) and a few seals. Everything else looked good. Didn't test the pop off yet but it starts right up and idled fine until it went limp...again can kill it with the choke.

This evening I plan to replace the Rectifier, check plugs for lean condition and put it back on a garden hose to make sure the water is flowing thru each hose (again).

Would a bad Rectifier trigger the Temp warning light and/or cause it to bog/limp like it did?

Anything else I need check?

Should I order a coil?

There is no limp mode at all.
A rectifier can cause all kinds of wierd symptoms. Just unplug the red wire on the rectfier and see if it runs fine but you will not be charging.

If you dind't do a correct rebuild of the carbs with Genuine Mikuni parts it can run like crap too.

There is no limp mode at all.
A rectifier can cause all kinds of wierd symptoms. Just unplug the red wire on the rectfier and see if it runs fine but you will not be charging.

If you dind't do a correct rebuild of the carbs with Genuine Mikuni parts it can run like crap too.
Thank you for the reply... The rectifier isn't charging anyway so I'll go ahead and replace it and see what happens.

Put in a new rectifier and that didn't solve the problem. And it's not idling on its own. Have to give it a bit of throttle now to keep it running.

Only this time I didn't get any top end speed at all like last run. Thinking back it lost power while I was going though some chop. Maybe something came loose...looked but didn't see anything. Plugs looked good but one was a tiny bit leaner than the other.

Guess I need to start replacing some of the engine electric components. Start with the coil?

Might pull the carb again and see if something broke loose and is clogging.

Any other suggestions?

I would still lean towards a fuel issue.
What's the compression?

Yea thinking that might be the case.

Even with the new rectifier I'm not getting the change in voltage you'd expect. Stays about the same when engine is on. I'm going to put a good charge on it and see if that fixes if. If so then it's the generator or whatever it's called in the engine...which looks like a pain to change out.

I have a compression tester but can't find that size fitting for it. It ran 45+ mph and pulled out of the hole so don't think it's compression...could be it took 1/4 mile to warm up the rings. The no wake zone is pretty long so it should have had time to warm up before. Also it came from a neighbor who kept it in the garage and didn't use it much.

I would still check compression.

These don't charge like a car's alternator. You should have about 12.5V at idle and about 14V at 4,500 rpm. thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back