Engine Hours

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Racereddie

I know there won't be a simple answer to this question because so many states and their climates make boating time different. My boat is 10 years old and has 198hrs on the engine, that is 20 hours per year. I know that in the two years I have had it I have put 50 hours on it, so that is 25 hours per year. What is an average for hours. I also understand that a boat sitting for 5 years and not being used does not mean low hours equals a healthy engine. Just looking for some number out there.

Eddie

From my observations.......

In a warm weather state... a "Happy" recreational boat owner can put 100 hrs a year without an issue. More, if it's kept in the water.

in a state that gets cold... 25 hrs is normal. I consider myself an active boater... and realistically... I can only get out twice a month... and I only have 4 good months in PA. (sure... sometimes 5 or 6, but not normally) Also... with multiple water toys... I don't get too many hours on any one of them. Also... with the boat... we will ride out to somewhere quiet, and throw anchor. SO... a day on the water may only be an hour or two run time.

With that said... most people buy a water toy, and will use it for a year or two... then, they sit. (and rot) Both of my skis are proof of that. My 2000 Polaris only had 74 hr's on the clock, and my 96 XP only had 43 hrs on it!!!!! Both needed love to be put back on the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
My boat was in Ohio so I figured that 147hrs for 8 years was a fair average for up there and since I don't live on the water but am close to it, 25hrs per year is pretty good for Florida. Just like you we head to a beach and anchor, maybe select a different way home, even in the keys, we find a place to dive/snorkel/fish, we just don't go blazing around, shoot the price of gas puts a stop to that.

Eddie

With the price of fuel going up... I think more people are using a boat to "Tailgate" from. Like what you and I both said we do. (anchor, and swim) I remember back in the 80's... we would go to Lake Havasue (AZ) and we would just burn fuel like there was no tomorrow. At the time... "Regular" (with lead) was only $0.69/gal. So... a couple old stand-up ski's... a big a$$ jet boat... and a pontoon was running all weekend.

When I was in SoCal (and no kids)... 100 hr's a season was EASY !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back