Drive Shaft Issue GTX 255 iS LIMITED

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

fbiondip

Hi everyone I have a GTX 255 iS Limited with only 60 (salt water) hours, suddenlythe impeller didn´t move anymore, even with full throtle.Later when I checked,all the drive shaft splines were..... gone!!!!!!!!!!!(60 hours)............
,when I ordered the new shaft it came a different type /number and the dealer told me That for that model/year, they were no longer available,that i had to buy about 4 new items to make it fit,because the manufacturer had troubles with that shaft,
Has anyone passed thru this and tell me how difficult this is?

This shouldn´t be happening in a "supposed state of the art" watercraft, all internal metal parts are severely corroded even with good care and maintenance I give every single time it comes out of the water ,I wash it thoroughly,apply marine formula,but for me this seems to be a fresh water only PWC,unbelievable!!!!!

...from SukMyWake..
I'm sorry but I am going to dissagree with everyone here on the "misalignment and flex issue" being the cause of "stripped splines", broken shaft Yes, stripped splines No........... Are we talking "stripped splines" or broken shaft?? I have seen some very mis-aligned drive trains in these ski's and never once any stripped splines. Even on the extended shafts that have broken the splines are all still very much in tacked. If the splines are stripped it would have to be from lack of proper hardening to the metal, in any case this would be a metalurgy problem. The driveshafts on these watercraft have crowned splines to allow for angular misalignment and a certain degree of flex. Many guys have run their ski's for years before having the drivetrain aligned only to find out how very out of alignment their ski has been but havent had any issues leading them to believe there was or is any problem. If this is all of a sudden happening on the newer ski's then there is a bad batch of parts and it just needs to be replaced with a new part obviously that has been hardened properly. Just like the timing chain issue on some of the newer ski's, it's a bad part. Simple as that!!

NOW with that being said, I haven't personally worked on one of the newer ski's yet so if they changed designs and went with straight splines then I can see if it weren't lined up correctly then there would be an issue with premature wear on the splines. Straight splines need perfect alignment!! But if the spline design is crowned as in the previous years then as I have said, alignment is not the cause of stripped splines.

I have tested a number of extended shafts and one didn't have the splines hardened, you could see and obvious wear pattern working in on it which I am sure would lead to eventual failure but that shaft had over 50 hours on it so it was still pretty strong.

Personally if this was my ski I would get a new driveshaft and take it to have the splines hardened myself and be back on the water enjoying my ski. If you wait for BRP to solve this issue you may be off the water for a very long time as they are not so quick to admit they may have a problem..............just sayin!

....From scott...
A drive shaft spline failure is related to a loose pump moving around on these newer skis. There's a 2011 in my garage now with beat splines from pump bolts backing out. These newer skis have the pump bolting to the ride plate. Stupid design which requires a constant pre ride pump bolt inspection lol

...from GladeRunner...

I agree with your assessment and it's probably the cause of some of the failures but in my case I have always found my pump assy. tight and operating as designed. I really think in my case it was a "soft" metal issue or some metallurgy issue.. I could be wrong, its happened before.....

I can assure to anyone ,the shaft splines failure was not due by missalignment nor impropper tighteniing(it was very hard to take out) simply a matter of wrong material choice or wrong hardening treatment ,there shoul be a recaal on this issue,anyway I´ve just ordered a new shaft and a whole set of complements because that particular shaft(271001608) was superseded by (271001719) and four other things to make it fit. Thanks BRP!!!!!!!!

I would submit a claim form to BRP so they have it on record in case of a future recall.
If people don't complain, then they never find out about possible bad parts.

You can bet on that!! I also have a recurrent P code Flashing randomly on the message center ,P0122 and P0222 TAS (throtle accelerator sensor) shorted to ground,I have checked both sensor and wires and are ok but the d......code keeps on flashing making the ski go limp mode!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am in AUS and have a new 2010 GTX Limited iS 260 (purchased new in July 2011) and had the 'stripped splines' issue in the middle of a river at 16 hours resulting in a tow-in. Cost $A1122 to replace shaft, impeller, bellows, etc with 5 hours labour at $A99 per hour - interesting thing was that BRP supplied the parts at 'their cost' so new shaft (p/n 271001719) cost $A100 instead of $A550 - BUT the new parts used look nothing like the old parts removed! The new shaft does not have a rubber coating and the new bellows has a stainless steel cover instead of rubber - sounds like another BRP 'performance modification' and not a recall at their cost? Any one else had the 'stripped splines' issue on a brand new Sea-Doo (luckily the 'bad' timing chain is not fitted to my ski)?

I had read about this issue in a few other places.

It does seem that Seadoo knows it is a defective item and they chose to no longer make it. Which as you now know,,, forces you to purchase additional items to put your ski back into running condition.

The fact that this is still new (both year and hours) there should not be a failure this early on.

Do what you need to do to get it back together but then go after the money.

It is not fair that they use a poor quality item and it costs you.

Sounds like it should be a recall to me. Imagine if someone is offshore or up a fairly isolated river and the splines give out. Could be several hours before any rescue.

Obviously BRP are aware of this issue since they have issued a new part number they just don't want to bare the costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back