Dr Honda's Islandia Project. (Engine rebuild, and other stuff)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

Well... the weather kind of sucked here in Da' Burgh... but the fam wanted to take the boat out, for it's "OFFICIAL" first ride anyway. It was only about 72~73 degrees, and overcast. So... it was a little cool at speed.

We got out to the far end of the lake, and dropped anchor. At that point, we ate lunch, and enjoyed the space, and the amenities that an Islandia has. It was nice to have the sink, and fresh water to wash my hands before I ate. AND... my 6 year old was the one to break in the new potty. I don't think that she really needed to use it... but ever since I told her it had one... she wanted to try it. (kids are dumb)

After we ate... they played in the front pond. My Little girl was laughing her butt off at the fountain. I was turning it on and off... and she would stick her face right on the opening... and I would give her a blast. For the guys who don't know... there is a fresh water tap in the steps, and you can fill the fountain, or flood that entire section, and make it a pool.

Then.... they both wanted to swim off the back. So, I threw out the rear ladder, and they splashed around a while.

After lunch, we drove around a little, and the power wasn't as good as before. It was Reving up fine, but it didn't have the same "Punch". But, after I got the boat back at the dock... I realized that I was dragging the ladder still. (lol) Leaving it in the water, probably cut my top speed by 8 MPH, and it kept trying to turn to the right.

It was a good day despite the weather.

221.jpg

222.jpg

223.jpg

224.jpg

225.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pics. Mrs SDB thinks your kids are adorable.

PS. I've done the ladder thing myself once or twice.

Here's a short vid if the kids playing in the fountain.

[video=youtube_share;TO6MsTS0Ztg]http://youtu.be/TO6MsTS0Ztg[/video]

Sounds like a great boat with potty wow, lol, must be nice, it's looks new so you got a great deal.. What a difference in size compared to your sportster, it must feel immense compared to it. It looks like you can jog from one end to the other lol

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::hurray::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tony, I have come across a 2001 Islandia for $4,000 not running. The owner has no idea whats wrong with it. Do you think that is a reasonable price? Of course i have nowhere near the mecahnical knowledge of you or the ability to do what you did rebuilding yours. Just curious if you think at that price it would be worth even looking at. If so, what should i be looking for.

if it's clean... $4k is a great price. A clean, good running 2001 will go for $14k. SO... even if you have to buy a power head, you will be well under market price.

Go take a look at it. Who knows... could be something dumb.

The normal failure is that the oil drive gear gives up, and you loose the top-end. So... take a compression gauge with you. You are looking for 120~125 PSI.

Without someone like Tony within range, it's a tough deal. I think you have to take into consideration the worst case scenario of a new powerhead. That can be much more expensive than the time/money Tony has invested. Good luck though. I would love an islandia.

I was reading through your old post trying to take in & learn.
You have mentioned several times in post that loaded you can do 35/40 mph. Just you & low tanks you can reach 50 mph.
So far full or empty I'm getting 35/38 tops.
I thought I read that you may have installed a Solas impeller. Did you? Do you think they may have helped with speed?
I have new NGK properly gaped plugs, Good fuel, clean & waxed hull, Bimini top down. I have no idea on RPM's cause that gauge along with the speedo don't work. I've been using GPS for speedo.
My impeller and wear ring look good (tight tolerances, no nicks or scratches) 6 tine intake grate.
Do you have any suggestions? Oh and I just posted in an old thread about very loud exhaust. Or shall I say WAAAY louder than the challenger, pipes are not under water, almost makes my ears ring at idle. Friends were teasing me saying I had a 454 engine in it.

My pump is stock. Including the impeller. But... my engine is tuned... for a lack of better terms... Perfect. So, I'm seeing 6000~6100 RPM at full throttle. Also... I took a few thou off my heads, and bumped the compression.

The biggest drop in speed comes with the top up. That's an instant 5 mph. Oh... and when you leave the rear ladder in the water... that's a big hit to speed too. LOL. I can't tell you how many times I've done that. The first time it happened, I thought something was seriously wrong. But once I got to the dock... and saw it was down... I thought to myself... "I'm and idiot".

I think the official top speed fro the 240 islandia was 42 mph. But... double check your speed with a GPS before you get too upset.

LOL! We left the ladder down in the Challenger once and were FrEaKeD out. It was vibrating and didn't wanna go anywhere. When I climbed on the back to jump in to see if we had picked up trash in the intake grate I about died laughing at what such idiots we were.
Back to the Islandia, top down [emoji818]️,
Ladders stowed[emoji818]️, with GPS the speed was 35 to 36 with 3 adults (400lbs) and a full tank of gas.
I'm not gonna complain too much.

But the exhaust volume at idle is mind numbing. I'm thinking about turn downs, or 2 potatoes! Jk

Mine at idle isn't too bad. My only complaint is the rear ladder will rattle around at idle. I just need to put some hydro-turf, or other rubbery base under it. I know yours is newer than mine... and there were some changes. Can you post where your exhaust comes out?

Also... 36 seems a little low. What's your top RPM?

Mine at idle isn't too bad. My only complaint is the rear ladder will rattle around at idle. I just need to put some hydro-turf, or other rubbery base under it. I know yours is newer than mine... and there were some changes. Can you post where your exhaust comes out?

Here are pics of my 2004 exhaust outlet
exhaust 1.JPG
exhaust 2.JPG
exhaust 3.JPG
inside if revelant
engine exhaust 1.JPG
engine exhaust 2.JPG
engine exhaust 3.JPG

Also... 36 seems a little low. What's your top RPM?

LOL! I had to laugh or more like a giggle when I read that last question of yours. . . .I've been asking for help in trying to figure out why my tach doesn't work. I have power at the fuse box at the helm. The speedo doesn't work either but I know that can be the unit that mounts to the hull at the back. I read one of the threads that said the tach is fed by a grey wire at the rectifier. Sorry guys I got lost there. . .So here I took a picture of a grey wire I found. . . DON'T laugh! I do mean the little one. . .not the grey fuel line
grey tach wire question.jpg

That's what I thought... you have the newer exhaust outlet. The extra noise could be from the extra back pressure. If it's bad... I guess you can add some deadening materials to the inside of the deck lid.

I will have to take a peek at the wiring diagram to verify the wire.

I can't tell where your picture is, of the wire. But on your boat... the tach is driven directly from the ECU. On the Rotax boats... the tach comes off the MAG charging coil.

Looks like a great time out on the boat, weather or not any day on the boat is a good day! Also that little pool deal is awesome I have heard people talk about it but never saw it or saw it running thats a really cool idea!

That's what I thought... you have the newer exhaust outlet. The extra noise could be from the extra back pressure. If it's bad... I guess you can add some deadening materials to the inside of the deck lid.

What about some type of sound deadening to the "muffler". The big black metal cylindrical things after the engine, just before the pipe exits the hull?
378.jpg

In the above pic there is the red and black wires to the water pump going into a plug and under the oil tank. There is another plug coming out beside it and looks like it is going behind the motor. What does that other plug go to. Mine is unplugged. Perhaps the fuel gauge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back