Do old jet skis put oil in water?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so my Granpa owns a fairly large pond however he DOESNT WANT 2 strokes. They always get the water all oily and we swim in the pond and fish live in it. I just got a 1991 seadoo sp and I noticed the exhaust has NO oil. And yes it’s gettimg proper lubrication. So don’t tell me it’s running to lean lol. Does it have an oil catch? No idea but I’m thinking imna get to ride it in that pond lol

Well, all 2-strokes burn oil, outboards and pwc’s so some oil will technically get out the exhaust and into the water,but. This is a big but and the EPA actually studied this and after about 10 minutes of the 2 stroke running there was no detectable hydrocarbons in the water but for political reasons they banned 2 strokes in lake mead and Powell but not 2 stroke outboards. Figure that “bad science “ out.

Tell your grandpa even the EPA says they don’t pollute.

I've never seen oil slicks come from any of my 2-stroke seadoos. I did once have a 3cyl Chrysler outboard that dumped tons of fuel into the water. You could watch the oil sheen come up from the exhaust around the powerhead as it idled. Unless you set your oiling system to overinject, it shouldn't make the water oily at all.

If you run the XPS you'll see less smoke than the non-synthetic oils.
I mostly see oil slicks around other, crappier brands of PWC.

Yes, all 2 strokes will emit unburnt oil. And the exhaust is discharged under water... so... yeah.

I'm guessing the 2 stroke ban was more to curb idiot riders than anything to do with pollution, as they did not ban 2 stroke outboards. Which, smoke tons...

For small water, you can pickup a spark, they look like fun, and are 4 stroke.

Well, all 2-strokes burn oil, outboards and pwc’s so some oil will technically get out the exhaust and into the water,but. This is a big but and the EPA actually studied this and after about 10 minutes of the 2 stroke running there was no detectable hydrocarbons in the water but for political reasons they banned 2 strokes in lake mead and Powell but not 2 stroke outboards. Figure that “bad science “ out.

Tell your grandpa even the EPA says they don’t pollute.
Ok thanks for the response! I told him and he’s a bit more willing.

If you run the XPS you'll see less smoke than the non-synthetic oils.
I mostly see oil slicks around other, crappier brands of PWC.

Yes, all 2 strokes will emit unburnt oil. And the exhaust is discharged under water... so... yeah.

I'm guessing the 2 stroke ban was more to curb idiot riders than anything to do with pollution, as they did not ban 2 stroke outboards. Which, smoke tons...

For small water, you can pickup a spark, they look like fun, and are 4 stroke.
Thanks for the response!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back