Do I need a new starter in my 95 XP?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

handsonguy

So I'm a new owner of an old sea doo (95 XP). It's very difficult to start and I am curious as to whether it is the starter. It seems to turn-over fine, but it only has a real quick cycle of maybe 1 second or so. This basically means i have to keep hitting the start button time after time until eventually I get lucky and it goes. My other 97 GTI starter you can let it crank for a while (maybe 10 seconds) and this one seems to start fine. New battery and new carb kits were put in this year. Could I be right that a new starter would allow me to be able to let it crank for a longer period of time which would give it a better chance to start. Or is there something else I should be looking for? Any help is appreciated, as I'm obviously no mechanic. Thanks, Handsonguy

I found some used parts and the guy wants $75 bucks for the starter. Would this be worth a shot?

It does sound like a starter and or the bendix at the very least.

If you are going to purchase a starter, make certain it is an OEM product. Aftermarket starters are right next to horrible even when new.

If you find a used one, order a brush kit from eBay and put the kit in,,,

Welcome to a new MN guy!

Most likely the spring on the front of the starter is broken, or the bendix is beat.

So is this something that is easy to replace? I found a video online describing how to replace the whole starter, but maybe I don't need to do that? What exactly is the bendix?

Its on the starter.
You can remove the starter w/o removing anything else. Lots of patience, a long extension, 13mm socket. Two bolts up front holding it to the mag housing, and one in back as a support.

Ok, I wasn't sure if it was something that I'd have to take half of the machine apart to get to or not. Maybe I can handle the job then myself even though I am no mechanic. Thanks for your reply. If you are in Minnetonka, I'm not far from you in St. Louis Park!

Japanese? I would LOVE to see one from Japan. They are all coming out of China...those are total garbage.

Im the Seadoo guy on CL in Minnetonka so a 15min drive and you'll have what you need.

I have quit doing repairs to keep the city happy, just parts these days. If you want to bring it over I can point out the screws for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back