DIY oil line checker/alarm?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

andy.262

Just killed my second brand new engine on my 99 GTX (other thread about it here) and finally found out what went wrong - one of the tiny oil lines going from the oil pump to the intake detached itself at the oil pump, depriving that side of the engine of oil.

I'm selling this ski because I'm sick of dealing with it and I want to get a different hull style, but I'm worried about this happening on my other skis. Has anyone come up with some kind of DIY alarm or even an easy way to check that both oil lines are still attached and that oil is flowing? Also, what do you guys use to attach the small oil lines? I thought zip-ties would be sufficient but I have been proved wrong at great expense.

It sounds like you are using the wrong tubing.
I have never had one detach but have had old brittle lines crack or break.
I use OEM Seadoo oil line and high quality Thomas & Betts zipties with the stainless locking tab, never had a single issue.
thomas-betts-cable-ties-1.jpg

the one that detached was only like a year or two old, and the zip-tie was still on it when i found that it had come off. I definitely used cheap walmart zip-ties. I just ordered a pack of the ones you mentioned and im definitely going to switch all of them now before this happens again.

Are the SeaDoo lines transparent? I know the original lines are not, and I really like that extra confirmation of seeing that oil running through the lines

The OEM lines are transparent, the factory just sprays them with paint when painting the engine.
It sounds like you might have had the lines too short and cheap zipties.

Make sure you buy small ones or they will not tighten enough.
3 1/2" 5/8" 10 0.09" 0.03" UL 94 V-2, UL 62275 Type 21, MS3367-4

the one that detached was only like a year or two old, and the zip-tie was still on it when i found that it had come off. I definitely used cheap walmart zip-ties. I just ordered a pack of the ones you mentioned and im definitely going to switch all of them now before this happens again.

Are the SeaDoo lines transparent? I know the original lines are not, and I really like that extra confirmation of seeing that oil running through the lines
The zip tie was still on the line leads me to also think that the line you used was to large, I use the OEM line and it’s very difficult to get it on the nipples. Once it’s on there I bet you wouldn’t even need a zip tie to hold it in place ( always use a zip tie or another mechanism to hold it ).

926039C1-15C2-4352-86BE-6F8127657291.pngTo verify the ID measurement of the hose is correct I inserted a drill bit into the hose, one that just fits snug and then measured the drill bit.

Back