Discontinued part, now what do I do?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RonRock

My sons 97 Challenger has a rubber gasket around the exhaust pipe. It seals the transom where the pipe sticks through. I replaced it a couple years ago with a new one, but it has gone bad. Now it is obsolete.

Anyone have a parts supplier that may have one left? Any suggestions how to do a repair? I hate to start cobbling things up, but the boat is stuck to it's trailer without this gasket.

Get the part no., click PARTS at the top of this page. Google the part no., somebody's gonna have it.

Lou

I agree. With a part number it can likely be found.

Post the part number here, I like a good challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I found a post that claims they have 25 in stock.

I will PM you with the details as I like to push our sponsor but can't do so in this case.

They sold out a couple weeks ago. This is frustrating.

The guy at the link suggested retro fitting something from a newer boat to fix the issue. Trouble is I am in Iowa, and there aren't many of these boats around. I have no idea how to find a part that could be retrofitted. I would much prefer to find the correct part.

I'm walking through an airport now. Will do more looking tonight when I get to San Juan.

But not during my beach time.....

I'm walking through an airport now. Will do more looking tonight when I get to San Juan.

Send a email over to Woody's Cycle and Marine in Michigan. There is a girl there named Sue that can find old parts sometimes. Been impressed with what she has been able to find for me in the past.

ahhh vacation?? enjoy it!

my girlfriend just got back from over there she absolutely loved it.

ahhh vacation?? enjoy it!

my girlfriend just got back from over there she absolutely loved it.

Not really. I am only here for one night.

Handling paper work but taking advantage of the location. Brought my snorkel stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
My search was hopeless. I tried everyplace I could find that may have one on the shelf. I eventually talked to a very helpful guy with an acceptable solution. I'm pretty sure he was a tech at Woody's Cycle & Marine in Michigan. He claims to have done several boats this way, and it sounds much better than filling the void with silicone. So I followed his advice and used a Chimney Boot that is readily available at hardware stores. I happened to have one on a shelf that I had bought years ago and not used. It is made with "steps" so that it can be cut to fit various size chimneys, so sizing it was fairly easy. I did the work yesterday and am very happy with the results.

The one I had on hand was Oatey Universal Pipe Flashing. Part #14052. But there might be a better one out there. I had this on hand, and it had the right "steps" for this application. The hardest part was how to drill the holes in rubber. I used an old bullet casing I also had on hand. I had used this trick before to punch holes in rubber. Using the casing gives a nice clean hole.

All said and done, it was a good solution. Looks good and if it lasts longer than 2 years it will be better than the OEM that I replaced, and is apparently obsolete. Although if someone happens to find a source for the OEM or a replacement, I'd still like to buy the correct part.

Hopefully this will help someone out that needs the same part.

Cheers,
Ron

One word for you my friend: SILICONE! I found this thing on eBay for under $20, but the bolts are SO EXTREMELY HARD to get to that I gave up and riveted a few of them. Despite this, it still leaked profusely, so I gooped it up and no more problems. Even if you do replace it, make sure it's not leaking from any of the bolt holes. Maybe you'll have more luck/patience with it, but after the 10th time of that little nut falling down into the abysmal corner of the engine bay, I said F THIS!

Congrats on the fix.

I'm more shocked you just happen to have one laying around. What's the odds,,,

It is confirmed that the OEM part is discontinued and NONE available. I contacted my local dealer (had another dealer do a parts search) and they had a deliver date of 10-28-2013(IIRC). What they said was every part they have come across with that date has been discontinued. So if you call on a part and they give you that date, your pretty much hosed. I too have these gaskets on my Speedster, but mine have lasted years. I have replaced them both once since 99. Mine are just starting to crack, there was just two on Ebay about two months ago that I passed on, so I'll be looking on Ebay daily for them. It kills me that they would discontinue this part as it's vital to your boat staying a float. I wish we could switch to an normal Seadoo thru hull fitting, but that won't work. Time to start working on a viable solution.

Congrats on the fix.

I'm more shocked you just happen to have one laying around. What's the odds,,,

You got that right! The best part, is that it was on a shelf in a storage area that is full of stuff forgotten. I would not have even remembered it, but I have been working on my sons little old Honda XL-70's in the last couple weeks. They had sat for a couple years, so I was in there looking for carb parts. And happened to see that on the shelf. Hope it works. Is an easy solution to those in need.

thanks for the oatey idea. had my 98 speedster since new and bought both gaskets about 10 years ago and only replaced one. somehow I managed to find the other one. so it looks like my boat will have one side oem and the other compliments of oatey engineering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back