Disconnected oil injectors

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike P

I just bought my first jet propulsion boat so there is a bit of a learning curve that I hope you guys can help me with. I have built muscle cars, VW's and aircraft so mechanical and electrical are not a problem. I just need to get in tune with the set up of this type of vechicle. My question is this: My 1999 SeeDoo Challenger 1800 has its oil tank disconnected and the previous owner said he preferred mixing his own oil. A mechanic I met said there is a rotor that is also oiled from the tank Via an oil bath. There is old oil in the line but no oil in the tank. The motors appear fine. Any suggestions? I feel I should just hook the oil lines back up ( providing the pumps are really operational). Does anyone mix out there?

Mike P in S. FLA

Welcome to the seadoo forum Mike. You need to leave the injector tank in tact as it allows the Rotary Valve Shaft in the engine crankcases to be lubed. Even if you leave the oil injector pump off, you need to have this oil bath for that shaft. The injector that is used by seadoo is a variable rate oil injector, meaning it supplies oil to the engines at a different rate depending on what rpm it is and what it needs. If you mix pre mix it supplies at the same constant rate...usually like 40:1. You will fine you will use much more oil doing premix than using the injector system. In the seadoo manual is a section on checking the Injector flow rate to make sure it is pumping oil correctly.
If you want you could join as a "premium member" As premium member you can down load a authentic seadoo manual from the seadoo manual library. In the library is a variety of manuals for almost all years and models. You can view as many as you like on line as a PDF file, or download it and print it for your personal and privet use. There are operator manuals and repair manuals for you to do your own repairs on your seadoo. The repair manuals have everything from troubleshooting, repair procedures to winterizing. It contains wire diagrams torque specs and pictures for disassemble and assemble instructions. In the spec sheets it tells everything needed to maintain oil changes, spark plug gaps and impeller wear ring tolerances. Click on the "Seadoo Manuals" link at the top of the page for more details. If you need any help or get in a jam, we are always here to answer your questions too.

Karl

Old oil.....

You said the hoses were full of old oil. That's good. That means it's unlikely that any damage has occured. This oil chamber is kept full by head pressure of the tank. Gravity feed with a vent on the other side of the engine, back to the tank.
There is no oil pump for that chamber..........just hook up the tank, maintain about 1/4 to 1/2 tank of non-NMMA, non-TCW-3 oil and you'll be fine. I'd use synthetic oil.
Also, since you don't know what kind of oil is in their now, or how much breakdown has occured, I'd take a small shop vac, disconnect the hose coming out from the starboard side of the engine and suck it out clean, then put fresh oil back in.............good luck...
Oh, you say you build muscle engines..........then to explain this "rotary shaft"...it's a worm gear that drives a degreed plate for induction. Basically, it's your timing gear.........

Thanks Karl and Skatman! I will definitely sign up for the premium membership. I was hoping this forum would be as helpful as my American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) Forum board is. I was right, it is. I was wondering how to figure out if the pumps were still good and you covered that too! Skatman, the timing gear analogy was right on target. You guys ROCK!

Mike in S. FLA

Let us know if we can be of any other service. Mike, where are you located in South Florida? I live in Englewood, below Sarasota and Venice.

Karl

Cool, nice area... The folks on this side of the coast are trying to get a meet and greet originized...you might want to come on over and visit if it happens. It could be a great fun time for all.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back