1997 GTX oil in crankcase

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

kgeorge45

I disconnected line #13 from the top of the oil tank and pulled a vacuum on it because the crankcase was full of water/oil due to a bad gasket. When I pulled the vacuum it emptied the oil tank. This was with the cylinders removed. How did that happen and does the crankcase normally have a certain amount of oil in it?

oil line.JPG

Attachments

• oil line.JPG
    oil line.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 2
You drained the rotary valve cavity along with the oil tank. The number 13 line connects on the front and back of the engine and forms a loop. It just endures the rotary gear is always full of oil, which is completely seperate form the crank case and pistons.

If have water in the crankcase then unfortunately it is still in there. You should try to gain access to the bottom under the carbs and look for two Allen set screws and remove those to drain the engine.

There should be no standing oil in the crankcase.

Thanks for the response. Which seals keep the rotary gear separate from the crankcase? Looking at the parts diagram and don't see it.

The seals are part of the crankshaft. In order to change those you need to completly rebuild the crank.

This is why many people will add a shut off valve to the line 13, the one that goes to the lower part of the engine to limit the amount of oil that can get into the engine when not in use as a temporary measure until such time as an engine rebuild is required.

You will need to get it running to burn all the water out. You can get the majority out by cranking the engine over with the sparkplugs out.

Only the early engines had any drain plugs and your skis in your avatar are newer.

Line #13 coming from the bottom of the oil tank, add a shutoff valve? I also was able to suck most of the water out of the crankcase using a shop vac attached to a small hose that would fit between the crank counterbalances. I have a new cylinder gasket to install because it was leaking water out the side of the PTO side cylinder. Also, thanks for the pic, I understand better where the oil is supposed to be now.

There is no reason to install a shutoff valve unless the engine is filling up with oil when sitting for extended periods of time.

There is no reason to install a shutoff valve unless the engine is filling up with oil when sitting for extended periods of time.
I left it sitting for the past week, waiting for the chance to work on it again. I looked in the crankcase and the PTO side was completely filled with oil. The other side was dry. I'm going to install a shutoff valve after I get all the oil out. Once I install this valve, how often should I open it up to allow the rotary gear to get oil? Should it be open only when running? I'd like to make it thru the summer before I pull the engine.

It should be open whenever running.
If you are filling the entire crankcase in less than a few days the crank seal is too far gone and the oil valve will not help.

Back