DESS Switch Problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lostcanuck_99

I bought a used 2008 RXT with 12 hours on it...fantastic unit.

Unfortunately, I have one minor problem (minor is relative). When I put the DESS key onto the post the unit will start and run normally. However, when I pull the key off the DESS post, the unit keeps running. This is an intermittent problem; sometime it shuts off, sometimes it stays running. The start/stop button works properly. I have to disconnect the batter to stop the audio beeper.

Is it just the DESS switch or the MPEM module. Given that I need to disconnect the battery, I suspect it is the MPEM module.

Any support would be great.

Cheers,

Randy

Does it also start without a key being inserted? It sounds like a bad post to me.

Also on a side note, check the sc and make sure you don't have ceramic washers. They were supposed to be replaced in 08 with the steel ones but a few snuck through with ceramics, mine being one of them and results are not pretty. You're due for a supercharger rebuild anyway (100hrs or 2 years roughly). I'd say you're a little past those 2 years even though hrs are very low

Last edited by a moderator:
THANKS KK...I tried to send a response from my iPhone but I don't think it when through.

Yes, it will start without the key inserted. If I cycle the battery power it won't start until I put the key in again. I think this is because the MPEM has lost the key code; but the instrument cluster will sometimes power up. I'm going to change the post this weekend and see what happens.

Thanks for the heads up on the ceramic washers. I assume SC means supercharger. How can locate the washers to inspect?

THANKS KK...I tried to send a response from my iPhone but I don't think it when through.

Yes, it will start without the key inserted. If I cycle the battery power it won't start until I put the key in again. I think this is because the MPEM has lost the key code; but the instrument cluster will sometimes power up. I'm going to change the post this weekend and see what happens.

Thanks for the heads up on the ceramic washers. I assume SC means supercharger. How can locate the washers to inspect?

you would have to pull the supercharger off the machine... theres 3 bolts holding it on two from the front and one awkward bolt from behind the supercharger.. once those are off just slightly pull the supercharger out and inspect (or post a picture on here)

Unplug the post when it is running without the key installed. If the engine shuts off then you know it is the post. :cheers:

Just wanted to update this thread. I replaced the DESS switch and everything is working properly. I didn't have to get the computer reprogrammed.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back