dess ~ mpem ~ starting problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

5bulldogs

I am having a problem with my 04 Seadoo 3d.

When you put the key in it chirps 3 times and the fuel pump runs but it will not turn over. The fuel gauge illuminates and the red maintenance light flashes. You can cross the solenoid and the starter spins the motor.

When you hit the starter button it gives 4 loud beeps then back to the regular chirping. I checked and I am not getting any power to the 2 wire switch on the solenoid when the starter button is pressed.

I checked all the fuses I could find and they all look good.

any help

I am having a problem with my 04 Seadoo 3d.

When you put the key in it chirps 3 times and the fuel pump runs but it will not turn over. The fuel gauge illuminates and the red maintenance light flashes. You can cross the solenoid and the starter spins the motor.

When you hit the starter button it gives 4 loud beeps then back to the regular chirping. I checked and I am not getting any power to the 2 wire switch on the solenoid when the starter button is pressed.

I checked all the fuses I could find and they all look good.

any help

You probably don't get any power to the solenoid because the MPEM doesn't want you to start the engine. Your start/stop switch is hooked to the computer... and it controls everything.

Unfortunatly... the 3D is kind of it's own thing, and you will probably need to take it to a dealer to have the codes read out. (I couldn't find anything for 3 beeps on it)

You probably don't get any power to the solenoid because the MPEM doesn't want you to start the engine. Your start/stop switch is hooked to the computer... and it controls everything.

Unfortunatly... the 3D is kind of it's own thing, and you will probably need to take it to a dealer to have the codes read out. (I couldn't find anything for 3 beeps on it)

It is actually doing the 4 chirps to let you know the key is installed. Then when you press the starter button it makes 4 loud beeps then goes back to chirping.

has to be a dess issue........try here -->http://www.sea-doo.net/Specifications/787-RFI-TROUBLESHOOTING-CHART.pdf

2 short beeps (when installing Engine can be started normally.
safety lanyard on watercraft post).
• Good contact between safety
lanyard cap and DESS post.
A 2 seconds beep every 5 minute
intervals (RFI models)
• Fuel tank level is low. • Refill.
4 short beeps every 3 seconds
interval for 2 hours.
• Safety lanyard has been left on its
post without starting engine or after
engine was stopped.
• To prevent battery discharge,
remove the safety lanyard from its
post.
Continuous beep • Engine overheats • Refer to COOLING SYSTEM.
• Bad connection between safety
lanyard cap.
• Remove and replace the safety
lanyard on the post until 2 short
beeps are heard to indicate the
system is ready to allow engine
starting.
• Unprogrammed or defective
safety lanyard.
• Use the safety lanyard that
has been programmed for the
watercraft. If it does not work,
check safety lanyard condition with
the programmer. Replace safety
lanyard if reported defective.
• Dried salt water or dirt in safety
lanyard cap.
• Clean safety lanyard cap to
remove dried salt water or dirt .
• Defective DESS post. • Refer to IGNITION SYSTEM for
testing.
1 long beep (when installing safety
lanyard on watercraft post or when
pressing start/stop button).
• Improper operation of MPEM or
defective wiring harness.
• Refer to INSTRUMENTS AND
ACCESSORIES or ENGINE
MANAGEMENT (RFI).

The MPEM is out. The dealer said they tried to get it to communicate with 2 different scan tools and got nothing.

Does anyone know what years seadoo mpem that I could use. The dealer wants 1K for one and I can't swing that.

The MPEM is out. The dealer said they tried to get it to communicate with 2 different scan tools and got nothing.

Does anyone know what years seadoo mpem that I could use. The dealer wants 1K for one and I can't swing that.

If you have a fuel injected 3D... then you are stuck with whats in your ski.

I'd look at ebay for a used one.

Does it have to come out of a 3D? Or would any of the 787 rfi mpems work?

One time I used a rxp mpem on a gtx for a higher rev limit.

I got it back today from the dealer and they said the "mpem" the part that holds the fuses was bad. They tried to program another key to it and it would not program. They did however manage to tell me there is a total of 7 hours on my ski.

I got it home and took out the "mpem" and the ecu. I opened the sealed box up to find about a quart of water that poured onto the garage floor. I then opened up the ecu to find more water around the electronic board. I am trying the old cell phone technique and seeing if drying it out around the house for a couple of days will do the trick.

I used a hair dryer on all the electronic parts and put it back together, and it started and sounded great. Thanks everyone for the help.

3D starting problem

I have the same starting issue with my 3D. Man I am glad I am not the only one, Now I have a little better chance of prooving a factory defect, Not an abuse, now if I can find someone at BRP that I can find who will handle this in a professional manner it would be nice. let me know what you think. I don't see why we should have to pay 1K for a defective part, my machine has less than 50 hrs on it, but that is what I have been told by BRP. I think that is pretty crappy customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back