Dealer says a direct short in the computer. What are my options? 96 gtx

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strokerridge92

Got a ski for 100$ took it to the dealer, they say there's a direct short in the computer somewhere on my 96 GTX. I've got a parts 95 GTX what are my options? Find a used computer? Motor swap out of another ski? Need help lol

I would start by sending the MPEM to Nick [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] he can test it and if you need another one he has good used one's and he can program it to your lanyard or a new lanyard.

To get an idea of the condition of the motor you can do a compression test, you can jump the solenoid to energize the starter to turn the motor over.

BTW, very few parts from your 95GTX will work on your 96GTX.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
It just beeps once and that was it, took it to the dealer and they tried to reprogram the lanyard but it wouldn't read the computer and they looked into it further and it keeps popping fuses and they said its a direct short in the computer. Said I need a new mpem and a computer. But they discontinued them?

Contact [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] he will test yours again, if it's bad he will sell you a guaranteed working mpem

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

I'm pretty sure there is only one "computer" which is the MPEM. Contact [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] and have him give you a definite answer if yours is bad.

you will be able to a used one from one the guys here on the board. 95 and 96 GTX totally different. 95 is a 657x and 96 is a 787 w/DESS. Can't even swap MPEMs to try they are totally different. More than likely someone tried to jump the battery. That is the main reason for Seadoo MPEMs going out.

They said one was 900 and the other was 500 and he said it seems more like the 900$ one

In 96 they used 2 different MPEM's, ones made in late 96 use the same MPEM as the 97 and they are more expensive.
As others have said contact Nick [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] and he can hook you up.

Yes MC is right on. You will need to open your ebox up and look inside. Typically the 96s have seperate cdi boxes mounted on the other half of the box, the weird late model is one cdi/mpem in one.

Let me know if I can help I have both in Stock. Your 95 will not work.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

This used to be an expensive as hell MPEM but they are now available aftermarket with no DESS enabled. I got one for my 96 GTi, which is a different MPEM yes, BUT made by the same company. Works perfect. PM sent.

I personally feel the aftermarket ones are junk, I've had alot of calls on bad aftermarket ones the past few years. But to each their own...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back