Damaged impeller shaft

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

GalvSurf

Greetings everyone,

First I would like to thank all who have posted problems and solutions on the forum, I just wish I would have found the forum sooner!

Problem: Impeller shaft damaged from bearing failure (AKA lack of maintenance)

Upon flushing the boat the next morning after a great day of boating, a loud noise came from the jet pump area. It was the third time I used the boat for the season back in June. With info on the forum I began to take the stator off to investigate the problem. Unable to get the four main bolts off I found a mechanic to help. Here we are in October after a season with no boat, I was looking for advice to continue.

Questions;

1. Has anyone on the forum replaced the impeller shaft?

2. Mechanic checked compression and found the cylinders where 145 -148, is this possible on a 13 year old engine? I do not know the engine hours but have had the boat for 8 years and no major issues. I run the boat 40-50 hours per season. I bought the boat from a family that had three boats and this one was his wife's.

3. Was going to send the stator, ware ring , and impeller off to have reconditioned. Not sure if the stator can be reconditioned.

4. Was going to purchase new a new impeller shaft and associated bearings.

5. Replace the plastic gear assembly drive for the oil pump

6. New rock grate

7. For get it and and buy a new boat! (but I like this boat)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Attachments

• IMG_0395_2.JPG
    IMG_0395_2.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0399_2.JPG
    IMG_0399_2.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0403_2.JPG
    IMG_0403_2.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0404_2.JPG
    IMG_0404_2.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0407_2.JPG
    IMG_0407_2.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 22
That pump looks like it has seen its days. I would find a good used pump, get your impellor reconditioned and just replace the driveshaft. Also do you run in salt water?

Welcome, and sorry for you issues. But, as for your Q's.....

1) Normally doesn't need to be done, and it's not a trivial project. Basically, the shaft comes out the front cover, and that means removing the pump housing. AND... since the engine is mounted to the pump... it has to come out first. It's not that hard... but it requires tools most guys don't have in the garage. (like an engine hoist)

2) The compression is very good. his tool could be off, or he could have put oil in the cyl's, and that will mask a real prob. (you can ask him if he did it Dry) But, a well maintained power head can last a long time. As far as the time you claim to run per year... if you were really beating on it... you would burn a few thousand $$$ worth of fuel to cover 50 hr's. (Full throttle burn is in the 22~27 gal/hr range)

Regardless... you can't guess on time. Find a mechanic that can actually read out the ECU, and give you the run time.

3) Yes it can. There are a few shops who boar it, and install a stainless ring. It's about the same price as buying a new OEM ring... but it's more durable.

4) OK

5) It's not easy to do. The plastic gear is on the crank shaft. AND... to get to it... you have to split the engine. But... if you are going to pull the pump, to change the shaft... you can split the engine in just a few hrs once it's out.

6) It's only good if you are running a sea-weed/grass free place. Otherwise it clogs too quick. You may want to consider the 6 tine aluminum grate.

7) If the boat is in good shape... and you like it... then fix it. Other used boats will have issues... and unless you fix it... the boat is only worth 50% of what it would be in running condition.

I know you already admitted to lack of maintenance... but this could have been avoided by simply servicing the pump once a year. Speaking of that... it's about time to do my own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back