Metal plate cover in flywheel.. rubbing on stator and trigger!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Utopia1330

I took my flywheel off to replace another stator and found a metal plate covering the magnets that was loose. I ripped it off, wondering if that would affect anything after the fact right…. I noticed one side of the trigger with rub marks and the stator was rubbing on the metal plate that I ripped off. The drive shaft does not seem to be bent but I was wondering how easy can the end cap be damaged. Seems like previous owner try to pry the fly wheel off. Part number is 858521T1 on 2001 m2 carb. Finally took matters into my own hands and discovered the damaged items, changed the stator and trigger twice by a shop and the damage is very noticeable go figure… need help and advise.

I took my flywheel off to replace another stator and found a metal plate covering the magnets that was loose. I ripped it off, wondering if that would affect anything after the fact right…. I noticed one side of the trigger with rub marks and the stator was rubbing on the metal plate that I ripped off. The drive shaft does not seem to be bent but I was wondering how easy can the end cap be damaged. Seems like previous owner try to pry the fly wheel off. Part number is 858521T1 on 2001 m2 carb. Finally took matters into my own hands and discovered the damaged items, changed the stator and trigger twice by a shop and the damage is very noticeable go figure… need help and advise.
There is supposed to be a thin stainless steel ring glued onto the magnets. It helps protect the magnets and stator poles from damage. Hopefully your magnets are undamaged and still secure to the flywheel.
Not sure what drive shaft you are referring to. What end cap?

There is supposed to be a thin stainless steel ring glued onto the magnets. It helps protect the magnets and stator poles from damage. Hopefully your magnets are undamaged and still secure to the flywheel.
Not sure what drive shaft you are referring to. What end cap?

Tim,

Magnets are still intact, previous owner tried to pry the flywheel out and damaged that stainless steel cover so I took it off. Stator keeps burning out and removed the trigger and one tab on the inside was rubbing, the end cap I’m referring to is where the trigger and stator sits on. Looks like he pried it and might’ve bent it.

Tim,

Magnets are still intact, previous owner tried to pry the flywheel out and damaged that stainless steel cover so I took it off. Stator keeps burning out and removed the trigger and one tab on the inside was rubbing, the end cap I’m referring to is where the trigger and stator sits on. Looks like he pried it and might’ve bent it.

IMG_0243.JPG

I have an engine (240efi) I'm rebuilding that was majorly damaged starting at the top. The actual sequence of events is unclear, but it is clear the flywheel magnet liner/protector came un-done and wadded up under the flywheel damaging the stator. This appears to have lead to a cracked upper crank bearing/seal mount (part circled in diagram above) and wasted the seal in that mount. This likely contributed to a very lean condition in top-most (#1) piston... possibly because prior rebuilder (term used loosely) didn't install the upper crankshaft sealing ring. Piston leaned-out, dropped a few ring-lands, chewed up piston and head, trashed cylinder. Oh, and did I mention the crankshaft BROKE above #1 piston journal (likely what took out the mount). I've read this can happen if flywheel gets out-of-balance. So this engine is totaled... and may have all started under the flywheel.

Attachments

• IMG_4480[1].JPG
    IMG_4480[1].JPG
    285 KB · Views: 5
I have an engine (240efi) I'm rebuilding that was majorly damaged starting at the top. The actual sequence of events is unclear, but it is clear the flywheel magnet liner/protector came un-done and wadded up under the flywheel damaging the stator. This appears to have lead to a cracked upper crank bearing/seal mount (part circled in diagram above) and wasted the seal in that mount. This likely contributed to a very lean condition in top-most (#1) piston... possibly because prior rebuilder (term used loosely) didn't install the upper crankshaft sealing ring. Piston leaned-out, dropped a few ring-lands, chewed up piston and head, trashed cylinder. Oh, and did I mention the crankshaft BROKE above #1 piston journal (likely what took out the mount). I've read this can happen if flywheel gets out-of-balance. So this engine is totaled... and may have all started under the flywheel.
I always wondered why that ring wasn’t made of brass or even plastic.

Back