"Cruise Control" for older skis

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

motox25

I have an 01 GTX and was wondering if anyone has used or seen anything for "cruise control" like the newer ski's have. In my mind all it would need to be is an adjustable band holding the throttle about 3/4, since I don't run my ski WOT very often :)

Lol just stop being lazy and use your hand. Never heard of anyone wanting to do it before honestly. Where theres a will theres a way.

I wasn't aware that the newer ski's had cruise control, it really doesn't seam to be very safe. I wouldn't do it.

You could do what I do when I check the compression, wrap electrical tape around the grip and throttle (LOL).

Lou

Lol yeah, I didn't believe it until I checked the SeaDoo site. It's not something I would need or probably use, just more of a question if I could.

What i would do is go to your small engine shop and get an adjustable throttle for lawnmowers/riding mowers, and connect it to the carb. Then while you are riding, you adjust it so it maintains your current throttle position. I don't normally do long trips at a constant speed. I sometimes get bored and look for a wake to jump or a donut or two. But it is possible, and cheap. The control comes with a 8 ft cable and is 13.99$

EDIT: only thing to remember is to always have your lanyard attached to you, or else you will have a ghost riding seadoo.

forget thee guys... the idea has merit :)

on my yami, during my longer straight runs, i would shove my whistle between the throttle and the back, and it would hold me at about 30mph, a poor mans cruise if you will.... worked just fine. my ski was boring anyway, big xl760, didn't really go fast and the turn radius was about 100 ft, so it was just fine... after i got my xp... i didn't feel the need for cruise, since the ski was more "fun" actually i had forgotton completely about it until you posted the subject... a clothes pin works as well, but its a good idea to lanyard it to your wrist or vest, that way, if for some reason you fall off your ski won't speed away at 35mph w/o you...

I personally don't think its dangerous at all if you have quick access to remove it... IO its no more dangerous than having it in a car....

so you might want to tinker with options or items that you can put in the throttle gap... you just need something that gets slowly wider, (again like a clothespin,,,, and isn't real slick)

downside.. sometimes it will just pop out, and when you let off the throttle the ski slows down realllll fast, so don't stand up while "cruising"

Yes, the new skis not only have cruise. (Great for skiers!). But have programmable launch speeds for skiers. (Or maybe it was just the jet boats. ). Anyway, you select your take off speed. 1-5. And the driver just mashes the throttle. The ski accelerates according to the setting, ignoring the throttle, and goes to the selected cruise automatically. Of course if you let off the throttle it goes to idle. But how awesome is that for drivers who piss you off when all you want is a steady ski speed!

Just use what I use.....a small stick off the beach....grab a nice tapered one and Bob's yer Uncle....

thanks guys thats a great idea, never thought of using a clothes pin or stick lol yeah Squirrel, went down and looked at the newer skis while picking up some parts and I have to admit, I love my old 2 stroke 951 but that was one feature that has me considering a newer one in the future. Cruising would be nice when I have my GF with me.

I will sell you a system and install it for 150$...That's a good deal because if it breaks I warrenty my work and will reinstall a new one.. Here is a picture of some of the systems I use.

174.jpg

Don't know how to imbed an image but this is my system. You can also adjust in order to get exact MPH
you want by a little abrasion...

Thanks! I know it does sound stupid but if one was bored and had a few sticks laying around and some power tools....
you could probably make one or two sticks with varying thicknesses the width of the throttle....

The bonus is - if you lost them they would float....:lols:

Man I kill myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back