Crazy Challenger 210 Adventure!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane0524

Two summers ago we took our 210 Challenger across the ocean passage from Newport Beach CA to Avalon Catalina Island CA. About 30 miles of open ocean. Easy trip over, a bit tougher trip back as the water became dangerously rough for the 210. Just though I would share some pictures.IMG_1932.jpgIMG_1936.jpgIMG_1943.JPGIMG_1946.JPGIMG_1950.jpgIMG_1297.jpgIMG_1298.jpgIMG_1956.jpgIMG_1964.jpg

check out some videoshttps://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTlkdGibArx1ThVcPABlBnvd-lhcovWmK

My understanding was that, " Santa Catalina Island was 26 miles across the sea", according to the old song by The Four Preps (1958). Only kidding. Your braver then I am. The bow shape on the Challengers are not designed for rough seas and will take on water over the bow if not careful. Had a few frighten moments in the Gulf of Mexico with water coming over the bow on my Challenger 180 but never did I venture out 30 miles. I guess you can get in serious trouble ten miles off shore just as well as 30 miles off shore. Bye the way, great pictures, nice boat and I'm extremely jealous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice pictures, brought back fond memories, but I gotta say, that Challenger looks pretty small in Avalon harbor, We used to sail from Harbor Island,(SD) to Avalon every October for the jazz festival, great party town. Sailing & motoring it took us the better part of 12 hrs to get there(80+ miles). I remember several times when swells were in the 6 to 8 ft height, no big deal in a 41 ft, 20,000 lb. sailboat, but that would've freaked me out in a challenger. Couple questions, Did you take a dinghy? or just use the water taxi to get to shore? Did the harbor master greet you and ask to inspect your heads / holding tanks? Presuming you got a hotel on shore?

Yes I would! But it would be absolutly essential to be out very early and return before 12:00 PM. That is wheN it starts getting rough out there.

We just stayed for the day and came back. I have also done a San Diego to avalon trip many times on a 38 ft Searay Sundancer only about 3.5 hours at 25-27 kts. It definitely got sketchy on the return trip in the challenger later in the afternoon we should have left before 12 pm to have calmer water. If ever doNE again I would make sure to return before 12 pm. Harbor masters didn't give us any trouble and yes we used the water taxi.

We just stayed for the day and came back. I have also done a San Diego to avalon trip many times on a 38 ft Searay Sundancer only about 3.5 hours at 25-27 kts. It definitely got sketchy on the return trip in the challenger later in the afternoon we should have left before 12 pm to have calmer water. If ever doNE again I would make sure to return before 12 pm. Harbor masters didn't give us any trouble and yes we used the water taxi.

Wow thanks for sharing I always wanted to do that with my Speedster 150 but if you had problems with the 210 I can't even begin to imagine how rough it would be on a Speedster..

Love the pictures by the way and your boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back