Crankshaft bearing failure following water in engine?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

horizondust

Did following the recommended procedure for clearing water from a flooded engine really cause bearing failure in the crankshaft?

Here are the details:

Accidentally towed '97 XP upside down for a short while resulting in a water flooded engine. Followed instructions for blowing water out by removing spark plugs, cranking, fogging, etc. Twice the engine caught briefly, coughed, and blew water out exhaust. Engine never started again despite another three hours of repeating procedure through 4 battery charges. Gave up and took ski to shop. Compression was OK but repair guy heard a knocking. Diagnosed a crankshaft problem. After removing crank, he told me both lower needle bearings were shot - probably caused by all the cranking to remove the water with nothing to lube the bearings because they were sitting in water.

:confused: Is this really the cause? When should I have stopped cranking?

Thanks!

When should I have stopped cranking?

Thanks!

when you started to drive off your driveway, to the repair shop.

That would not have caused bearing/crank failure. WHile crank'n, your carbs are still squiting fuel and the oil pump is still pump'n oil into case. Just needed to replace the spark plugs, and probably would have fired up. Once fired, keep pulling the choke til it starts to load up, then let go, and "ease" onto the throttle, till it responds as normal. The shop got yuor dough now, homey.

WHile crank'n, your carbs are still squiting fuel and the oil pump is still pump'n oil into case.

Instructions in Sea-Doo manual said to turn off fuel while cranking to spit water out. Wouldn't this stop carbs from squirting fuel?

Repair guy said crank case full of water and oil floated.

Just trying to get a straight answer. Sarcasm is OK, but I'm not stupid - just ignorant on this subject, otherwise I wouldn't be asking for help.

once its flooded that bad, it takes awhile to get it all out, and for it to "fire". Repeatedly, installing/removing plugs, spray'n carb cleaner on them, and also, continue to remove the water. WIth flooded that bad, an easy, hr to get it fired again, or atleast, just for it to "hick-up". You got alot of water built up in the pipe and muffler, so it needs to overcome that pressure as well. Just takes awhile, to get it to fire, then to idle, to burn it all out, then you hear it gradually build rpms, to where it then, is back to normal.

Just takes awhile, to get it to fire, then to idle, to burn it all out, then you hear it gradually build rpms, to where it then, is back to normal.

Thanks for reply and I hear you! But, I did all that and repeated procedure at least 20 times over 4-5 hours.

After first hick-up that blew lots of water from exhaust, it never even tried to catch even w/ new plugs (and I did verify spark).

So, question is still this: could crank bearings have been damaged from excessive friction caused by all that cranking if crankcase remained full of water?

Thanks for reply and I hear you! But, I did all that and repeated procedure at least 20 times over 4-5 hours.

After first hick-up that blew lots of water from exhaust, it never even tried to catch even w/ new plugs (and I did verify spark).

So, question is still this: could crank bearings have been damaged from excessive friction caused by all that cranking if crankcase remained full of water?

My guess is the bearings were shot before you flooded it and just didn't know it. Nothing you did should have damaged the bearings from what you have said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back