cost of spring service

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

easygoing

Wondering if anyone is stupid enough ( like me) to take their boat to the dealer to have the plugs changed,oil changed, etc. (the etc i have no idea). I wanted to compare prices around. My bill was 420 something!!! Dealer not very honest...tell you one price on the phone and charge you something completely different.

That's why I started my post about getting her ready for the season. They wanted $370 to change the oil and plugs. I pulled out my plugs in less than 5 minutes, and I'm just waiting for my oil pump. The dealer I bought my boat from ordered me one at cost. Retails $76, cost $51. And I'm taking my boat for the supercharger rebuild to a shop that just repairs jet skis and jet boats for $450. Two dealers wanted $550 - $700 for the same thing.

Up until this year I took my Challenger in for it's annual service because I got a prepaid service contract incl with the boat...here in AZ
the total they charged each spring was $285.79

PARTS (3 qts oil/1 filter,3 plugs) = $67.49
SUPPLIES (grease,O-ring?) = 19.85
LABOR (2.1 hrs) = 198.45

I assumed the price was inflated because it was on a service contract, but after the contract expired, the dealer still quoted $300+...I bought a drill mounted pump and now do my own annual service.

If under warranty

If you are under warranty are you able to do your own work and keep the receipts, or will that void the warranty? Or how about a shop that is not BRP certified. Lide you I am trying to stay away from the stealerships

$600 for an oil change?

I just stopped to check how much would it cost me to change the oil at the stealership and I quickly said screw that!

They wanted $400 for labor and $200 for the oil. Not sure if that included the filter also but man not even the BMW I had cost that much to change the stupid oil.

So I got the maintenance manual and I'm ordering the oil pump so I can do it myself. Once I have it down I'll see about making a video and posting it.

If you are under warranty are you able to do your own work and keep the receipts, or will that void the warranty? Or how about a shop that is not BRP certified. Lide you I am trying to stay away from the stealerships

I have been wondering about this as well...the oil change price just seems way too high.

If you are under warranty, you just need to ask for more lube!:ack: You really shouldn't need a spring service...they should have done the same thing when you had winterized it. :hat:

I got a local guy who use to be a Sea Doo mechanic. He winterized it for me and changed the oil and plugs for $125 total with 2 old school engines.

according to the service manual, every season you should change the oil, and it's prolly a good idea to change the o-rings also.

My own oil change service

Ok this is the run down...

3 sparks plugs: $3.71ea ($11.13)
3 qts 10w40 oil: $6.76ea ($20.28)
Super Grease: $5.07
O-Rings: $3.41
Oil Filter:$13.95
Oil Pump extractor: $139

Sub total: $192.84
Auto part manager discount: $72.15 (Friend of the manager) :hurray:

Total: $120.69 :coolgleam:

Compared with $600 the boat place wanted to charge me...
Savings total $479.31 :hurray:

Future cost of oil changes: $30.10 (by me)
Future cost of oil change services: $569.90 (by boat place)

:rofl:

And there'a another guy who does it for $182...but I wanted to learn how to do it...soon I'll see if I can make a video and posted so stay tuned!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the point missed here is the warranty issue. Don't quote me on this but I swear I saw threads here where BRP have refused warranty work due to it not being serviced by certified BRP technicians. Just wanted to point that out. :willy_nilly:

Yes, you did....

I think the point missed here is the warranty issue. Don't quote me on this but I swear I saw threads here where BRP have refused warranty work due to it not being serviced by certified BRP technicians. Just wanted to point that out. :willy_nilly:

Yes, you did read those threads. I know about them, I wrote them.

If you are under warranty and you have work done, it must be a BRP certified mechanic or you stand the chance of voiding your warranty. This is in writing in your warranty contract; or so I've been told.

There was a member I worked with a couple years back. He had a problem and was trying to figure out what it was. He got a few parts from the dealer he bought it from and they never once told him, if he worked on it himself, he'd void the warranty. Found out his problem was the coil, which for that year 4-TEC was having many problems with them cracking and arcing out. He then tried to get his warranty to repair the coil. They denied him. He took it to BRP with a letter and was denied with the same quote. If you are not BRP certified, then you stand a chance of losing that service.

There was another instance a year or so ago with a member and his supercharger. Same thing. He let a small engine repair shop repair the supercharger. They changed out the ceramic washers. But, when the engine blew because he did not get all the parts out from the disentigrated washers, they denied him his repairs, he footed the bill on that one too.

These are only a couple of the horror stories I've heard about members working on their own (or having some other shade tree mechanic) boats. I would never accept a new boat to work on. I'd tell them the same reasons why..........

Oh yeah, next time your at Walmart, go to their boat section and look at their oil removal pump. I dont' know how much it costs but I'm pretty sure it wasn't over $100 bucks. I belive it was a hand actuated pump type but for the small amount of oil your removing, might be worth it.:cheers:

Warranty Issue

Ok, to make a thing clear...I just called the second repair place and the guy told me that changing the oil in his place or by myself should not (SHOULD NOT) void my warranty.

I then contacted BRP and asked them the same question. I was told by them (BRP) that not only it would not void my warranty but it was illegal of any authorized BRP dealer to state so.

So at the end, I'm happy I saved a lot of mula that I can use for other projects!:hurray:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back