Cooling Lines Reversed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kennster

I had just bought a 96 XP near the end of the season....while winterizing it..i noticed that the top cooling hoses near the back of the motor...were reversed...the flushing quick fitting was on the far hose...im not too familiar with the route the water takes....why didnt it overheat..or...have any other problems??..Thanks Ken

Even though I've never tried it, it probably doesn't make a lot of difference, it's pretty much the same path through the head.

Lou

Attachments

• CCF05212012_00000.jpg
    CCF05212012_00000.jpg
    725.1 KB · Views: 38
Not to disagree with you Lou, but It makes a large difference actually. This happened to me when I first got my ski last spring. The previous owner was working on it the winter before I bought it and switched the hoses around by mistake. I used it like that for a week and couldn't understand why half the time hoses were melting and smelling like burnt rubber. The way the system works is the pump pushes water through the hose closest to the center of the pump. Since it was reversed the ski was only getting water while not on plane because it was trying to draw water from the flush hose nozzle, which is where water normally exits, and pushing water out the pump hose. I've switched it around and haven't had a problem since.

As far as cooling the engine goes you should be ok if it was reversed.

But, If the cooling was running in reverse there would be no water going to the regulator valve which is on the muffler, as a result there wouldnt be any cooling on the bottom half of the tuned pipe and muffler.

Also, there are arrows stamped in the head by the inlet and outlets that show the direction of water flow to be sure. When the lines are hooked up they are usually crossed before they connect to the head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to disagree with you Lou, but It makes a large difference actually. This happened to me when I first got my ski last spring. The previous owner was working on it the winter before I bought it and switched the hoses around by mistake. I used it like that for a week and couldn't understand why half the time hoses were melting and smelling like burnt rubber. The way the system works is the pump pushes water through the hose closest to the center of the pump. Since it was reversed the ski was only getting water while not on plane because it was trying to draw water from the flush hose nozzle, which is where water normally exits, and pushing water out the pump hose. I've switched it around and haven't had a problem since.

It will not suck from the outlet side. It works off the pressure of the jet pump, so the hose that is hooked to the pressure side of the pump will always be the supply hose.

As far as cooling the engine goes you should be ok if it was reversed.

But, If the cooling was running in reverse there would be no water going to the regulator valve which is on the muffler, as a result there wouldnt be any cooling on the bottom half of the tuned pipe and muffler.

Also, there are arrows stamped in the head by the inlet and outlets that show the direction of water flow to be sure. When the lines are hooked up they are usually crossed before they connect to the head.

Alright thanks for clearing that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back