Converted to Premix

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

97GTS

For starters I have a 717 engine with a single carb... and this is in an 97 GTS
So I decided to switch to premix this year... I took it to the lake today and it worked ok but there is a little bit of hesitation from idle to half throttle, I have to easy the throttle up in order to get the engine to catch up... I also replaced the rings over this year so at the current moment I am running the mixture a little strong to help the rings set in... I guess my question is should I leave it alone till I get the rings set in and see how it runs with 40:1 mixture or is there maybe a carb adjustment I need to make because I am now premixing...

Thanks
Chris

I was told that when you pre mix the ratio changes. Meaning when the oil is injected it goes into the engine after the
carbs, when you pre mix the oil now is going through the carbs inefect leaning it out. He says when you pre mix you will need to
upsize the jets to compensate for the oil. I dunno if this is true but it makes me think. He also says that when you pre mix
injection oil with the gas and oil will seperate after time setting.

I had removed all the injection system off mine till i talked to him. I now have re installed everything. New lines,checks, filters.

Im sure that pre mixing will be just fine. ALOT if people do. I just think these theorys make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
When going to pre-mix... you shouldn't have to change the carbs at all. If you want a little more fuel, just open your high needles about 1/8 of a turn.

With that said... if you are having to feather the throttle... something is wrong. Since you said that you installed new rings, did you have the intake manifold off for any reason? If you did, the Rotary valve could be off by one tooth. If you didn't... you may just need to clean the carbs.

OK... last thing. When you converted to pre mix, did you leave the oil tank in the hull, to feed the rotary valve gears oil?

Yes the Tank is still in the SKi so the rotary valve can still get oil... I did adjust the low idle screw back to the factories recommendations which is 3.5 turns out... the High is screwed all the way in like my shop manual says it should be.

Thanks
Chris

I did adjust the low idle screw back to the factories recommendations which is 3.5 turns out... the High is screwed all the way in like my shop manual says it should be.

What shop manual do you have?????? Because thats not even close. the 97 GTS should be (single 40sbn):

Low: 1 turn out
High: 1-1/2 turns out.

Thats probably why it's not running right. you are very lean up top.

None of the seadoo carbs are going to use a needle setting past 1-1/2 turns. If it needed more than that... they would have changed the jetting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back