Clearing exhaust/jet after normal use?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tcatmeow

Hi Everyone,

Rookie boater here. I noticed at the dock today that everyone with PWC’s (mostly Sea Doo) seemed to be clearing their engines after use. Is that normal procedure? Don’t see anything about it in the service manual.

Basically, they started their engines once on the trailer, revved them up pretty high for about 5 seconds.

Should I be doing that for my 2008 Speedster? If so, what’s the objective?

Thanks!
Tom

I did the same on my skis, but never on our boat. I only flush the motors after we hit the salt. If it's fresh I simply clean it when I get home and put the cover on. So long as you did't run the motor/s more than a few seconds, I can't see it hurting anything.

I believe the point is to remove as much water from the exhaust as possible to avoid corrosion.

Hopefully others will chime in as well.

We run ours for a few seconds once out of the water as well... My thought is clearing out the dirty river water and minimize corrosion as mentioned above. I have always wondered if it was necessary but I can't imagine it will hurt anything. Other thoughts??

I’ll typically do a quick startup in the driveway before driving an hour to our lake & even after a week or two it blows water out of the jet that had been sitting in there. I don’t know if it would cause corrosion after years of this sitting in there for a few days to weeks during the season or not so it try to run mine for a few seconds after I pull it out just to get as much out as I can but I usually forget. When I do I don’t rev it. Just fire each engine up for a few seconds then kill them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back