Changing Inline Oil Filter

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jasguild

I was about to embark on changing the two fuel filters and one oil fliter but came across the following closed thread from Racereddie

"Default Mercury 240hp EFI inline Directional Oil Filter

Just going through the different Oil and Fuel filters in a 2003 Mercury 240hp EFI engine. In looking through the shop manual it could be read to believe that if you replace the Directional Oil Filter (located between the Oil tank and Oil Reservoir Tank) you have to prime the oil pump. Seems that replacing the filter would not break the integrity of the system from the reservoir tank to the pump and it does not give a method of priming the pump without owning a DIGITAL DIAGNOSTIC TERMINAL.

Eddie"

The suggestion it seems he went with was to disconnect the fuel line and run a premix fuel from a separate container until the oil pump was primed again.

Do I have another option? Should I just leave this one alone? the only reason I am changing it is I have no idea if the prior owner had changed it.

Sincerely

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are talking about the filter between the main thank, and the small tank on the engine... its not a big deal. When you start the engine, it will be fed oil from the small tank. Then, at idle, open the small tank, and the pressure will fill the filter, lines and purge the air quick.

The only time you have to prime the pump is when you replace the lines between the small tank to the pump.

Thanks Dr. Honda

Is there anyway to keep the oil from pouring out from both these tanks when I disconnect the filter?

Thanks again

I guess because I have not used the boat in more than a month, there was no oil pressure or spillage. I was able to change the filter with not a drop of oil spilling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back