What Replacement Fuel Pump for VST Pump 809088T1 - 2000 Merc 240 EFI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

slacks

Hi Everyone, chasing the infamous "surging" and "dying" after after 30 minutes issue (2000 Challenger Model 2000 240 EFI), will be changing all of the fuel lines and today I removed the VST unit and sure enough there was quite a bit of gunk in the bottom section under the filter . Thought while I have it apart I would replace the pump just as a pre cautionary thing since its a bit of a chore getting it apart and its the original unit .. I say original because the hose clamps used on 2 of the hoses were the 1 time use ones that Mercury used when built .. you know .. the ones which are a real pain to remove Lol.

As we know the Mercury original part number of 809088T1 is not only through the roof for cost but is probably not available. I saw these from Quantum which appear to be ok from the pictures .. what do you folks suggest when it comes to replacing these high pressure pumps.

Thanks in Advance

MERCURY 150 175 200 225 250 HP Marine/Outboard 96-01 Fuel Pump + Gasket 809088T1 | eBay

Hi There, I just ordered the Quantum one a few minutes ago .. so we will see how things play out when I install it. They claim I will get it tomorrow based upon the shipping details but that may be a stretch since I live in Ontario Canada Lol.

Will update the post after I install it ... as mentioned prior , I am going to replace all of the fuel lines as well. I noticed that there is a "Primer Bulb" installed on the fuel line after the anti syphon connectors .. from what I read on a reply from Dr Honda back in 2013 its not necessary, as we know, there is a lift pump that takes on that responsibility. Its quite surprising at times what subsequent owners of boats find ... sometimes its a sign of trouble lurking mind you. I may or may not remove that Primer Bulb.

Thanks

Hi Guys, just a quick update to say that the Quantum trim ring that comes with the new fuel pump is a bit larger than the oem one and it is impossible to get it in. I ended up breaking my new fuel pump because it came out of the vice while trying to get the ring in and it fell on the floor and broke one of the terminal posts. The pump itself looks pretty decent but the trim ring prevents us using it on the VST system.

Did you swap trim ring? How did you resolve the issue?

Hi There, in my case since I broke the new pump I had to put the old pump back in and I reused the old trim ring which installed with just a little bit of tapping with a punch and rubber mallet. Knowing now how the pump is installed within the VST tank it would of been possible to use the new pump with the old ring, one would need to remove the new ring from the new pump. I had actually called the Qauntum support team to ask if that was possible because you would need to slide an existing clip that is installed over the plastic tube where the fuel is distributed from, simple question but they just kept saying .. well we have never had any problems before. After breaking the new pump, it is possible to remove that clip so that the new trim ring could be removed from the new pump. Unfortunately, the plastic distribution tube on the Quantum one is slightly larger in diameter than the oem one so you cannot simply slide the new pump into the existing trim ring, you need to remove the old oem trim ring to insert that new clip to accommodate the new pump.

Its too bad that the Quantum after market pump is not exactly the same in terms of that clip and trim ring because the actual pump looks pretty good. Hope that helps a bit .. once you see how that pump is installed within the vst tank, the above explanation will make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back