Challenger or Utopia? Which one should I buy? Or should I buy neither???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can get the 98-99 challenger with twin 800s. They are very reliable. Yeah potentially thy could cost twice as much, but they are cheap to fix compared to other boats. 2 brand new motors with 2 year warranty for 2200. I guarantee you won't find that on any sea doo merc boat or newer 4 stroke. For that matter, no boat with in outboard motor.

I wouldn't, but that's just me. What cooked the last engine, and was it fixed to prevent the same fate for this one? Why would someone spend thousands to rebuild the engine just to unload it?

OK...Thank you RFoster. Are the speedsters the only boats that had the 2 cycle Rotax without the superchargers??? Does the utopia or challenger have that engine in a given year?

I've posted 2 times already, the 98-99 challengers are 18 foot boats with twin 800's. I bet you would be happy with one. See if you cn find someone close by who has one who can take you out. Where in IL are you?

northwest Il. about 50 miles northwest of Chicago. I'm just concerned about getting a boat that old. My fears may be unfounded tho, that is why I asked if there was anything newer.

I've posted 2 times already, the 98-99 challengers are 18 foot boats with twin 800's. I bet you would be happy with one. See if you cn find someone close by who has one who can take you out. Where in IL are you?

Wow.. thats nice!, almost the same pricetoo? I think thats a good idea, 2 800 motors, very reliable, very affordable in case you need to have rebuild ones, theres a winner for you!

And no they dont have superchargers, I think the superchargers started after 2004 on the SCIC motors...

The edge will only pull 3500 lbs. "if properly equipped", so I'd get another hauler if you want to keep tranny intact.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the 800 is the 110hp motor, its actually called the 787 Rave, very good engine and its pretty powerful

Thank you cheappc. That helps a lot. Figures, I looked on CL, ebay, BoatTrader, and no '98-99 18' challengers. Guess I just have to keep an eye out.

The edge will only pull 3500 lbs. "if properly equipped", so I'd get another hauler if you want to keep tranny intact.

The book for my 2010 says 3800 lbs. The '99 challenger shows a weight of 1865 lbs. I'm assuming you add the trailer weight and all your stuff. Maybe 2500-2700???? It pulls my 14' Four Winns Fling piece of junk with ease.

OK..let me show you an example: I found this ad: 2002 Sea Doo Utopia 185 with Mercury 200 Opti Max Jet drive, trailer, cover, fish locater. Motor was rebuilt this winter has only 45 min on it. The pictures show the boat and interior to be really nice.

I contacted the seller, and he tells me the boat is going back in the shop because "there is a glitch with the injection" He says once that is fixed, this will be a nice reliable boat. He also says the jet was checked and found to be in good shape. I dont know if this has the electronic injection or the mechanical ( I will ask). Also, I don't know what was "rebuilt".

Based on this info, would you consider this boat? What, if anything would you ask the seller? They are asking $8900

Oh..and CheapPC, Did they use the Rotax engines without the supercharger in the challenger/utopia in the 18' boats? I was also told if you buy the dual engines, expect dual problems @ twice the cost.... thoughts???

The 200 Optimax is a DFI engine. It's direct injection, and has an even more convoluted fuel system than the normal EFI system. I don't know if I would touch a Di version or not. It's hard to diagnose if you are doing your own work. Also... this injection glitch may follow it for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually found a '99 challenger close by. Cant wait to call the guy tomorrow!!

THANK YOU ALL for your help and guidance. Your the BEST!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back