challenger engine flush

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

verk182

I have been searching the forums and have not really found a solid answer about flushing the engines on my challenger 1800. The manual says that you have to pinch the water inlet tubes that connect to the inlet by the pump, so water just does not flow straight out. However I have read a few posts on here that say you don't need to clamp those tubes. I have been using the flush ports up on top of the engine compartment without clamping and it seems to work fine. Any input would be appreciated.

another question for you guys. where does the water exit after leaving the cooling system? Does the challenger 1800 have a "tell tale"?

Question..Is water suppose to come out of the exhaust outlet on each side of the boat (if you have the twin engine???).

i must be a *&%^%$ moron

after reading all the post about flushing the engines and what not, feeling pretty confident about this simple task. So I get home this evening hook up the hose to the starboard engine then I start the port engine and turn water on:stupid: I didn't notice it for about 2 minutes.

Question, did I just load the cylinders with water? We are supposed to go out on the lake in the morning and I don't feel like burning the engine up.

Hey virk182,

I am complete rookie at this, but I gotta ask, with no water was running thru the port engine, how did it continue to run for 2 minutes? I would of thought it would of cut out. All the documention I read says you got 15 seconds on a dry engine.

As far as water in the cylinders, I have the same question out there.

It might not have been two minutes, but it didn't get to hot to touch. I am really hoping I didn't just screw up my trip for this weekend.:confused::banghead:

Flushing.....

On the single engine 787, there is two flush out connectors. There is one on top, under the main engine compartment latch, starboard side and one on the back of the transom also on the starboard side. The one up top is capped, the one below is open and bleeds off excess pressure.

When connecting to the water hose, I use the one under the hood. This way, if I have to much water pressure from my hose, it will bleed out the second one.

Start your engine first, then turn on the water. Use water pressure that is only enough to see a postive flow through the "tell-tale" tube. If you've used the connection on top, it'll be easy, you'll see water come from the back, from the secondary flush, then, with the water running, you should start to see it come from the tell tale hole. If not, increase the water flow. You do not need a pee stream shooting 30 feet behind the boat at idle. Just enough to show positive flow.

If you use the bottom one, with the top one capped, start the motor and only turn on the water for the same amount of flow through the tell tale hole.

If you think you've ingested water, start the motor ASAP with no water, blow the water out the exhaust till it's clear, then turn your water back on. The heat from the engine will cause any water inside to evaporate.

Yes, the exhaust system has water injection into the tuned pipe. So, you should see flow from the exhaust, pump, tell tale and the other flush connector, if using the top.

At anytime, if you hear a continous beep, turn the motor off.

If you have a twin engine, then you have water connections on each side for each engine and should only do them one at a time. There is no crossover for the motors..........

The only time you need to pinch your hose is while being towed.

There are no "moron" questions here. You have all asked the same questions about flushing, that I asked myself. Why do you think I'm here. I started by having a question!:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back