1998 gti winterize

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Martin007

Looking to winterize my 1998 seadoo gti.
I downloaded the manual online and it tells you to disconnect a couple inlet and outlet hoses and clamp them. Then pour the antifreeze in a certain order.
Is this with the engine running ? Doesn't mention it in the manual .
Will it not flood the engine ? Thats why you start the motor before starting the water for a flush ?
Sorry dumb questions, not used to 2 strokes.
Thanks

Looking to winterize my 1998 seadoo gti.
I downloaded the manual online and it tells you to disconnect a couple inlet and outlet hoses and clamp them. Then pour the antifreeze in a certain order.
Is this with the engine running ? Doesn't mention it in the manual .
Will it not flood the engine ? Thats why you start the motor before starting the water for a flush ?
Sorry dumb questions, not used to 2 strokes.
Thanks
You will get varying responses in regards to winterizing. The instructions you are looking at in the manual is with the engine off, if you follow those instructions you will not flood the engine. I have winterized that way for non running machines with no issues. That process is meant to use ethyl glycol antifreeze to dilute the water trapped in the engine. The antifreeze mixes with the water to make the solution that will not freeze. All good except I don’t want to use ethyl glycol antifreeze, I want to use biodegradable pink antifreeze that’s safe for both plastic and aluminum. So because this biodegradable antifreeze does not protect as well when mixed 50/50 I hook a hose and funnel to the flush side of the cylinder cover, that’s the the side with the arrow pointing towards the rear of the ski, I then start the ski, pour about a liter or a bit more in, then shut the ski off, my thinking is by doing it this way the antifreeze continuously mixes and expels the mixture out the exhaust. I worry that there would not be enough protection by following the manual using the biodegradable antifreeze. The machine is running about 20 seconds or so the way I do it and I’ve had no issues with any of my 9 machines over the past 7 years that I’ve had them. But you do how you see fit.

You will get varying responses in regards to winterizing. The instructions you are looking at in the manual is with the engine off, if you follow those instructions you will not flood the engine. I have winterized that way for non running machines with no issues. That process is meant to use ethyl glycol antifreeze to dilute the water trapped in the engine. The antifreeze mixes with the water to make the solution that will not freeze. All good except I don’t want to use ethyl glycol antifreeze, I want to use biodegradable pink antifreeze that’s safe for both plastic and aluminum. So because this biodegradable antifreeze does not protect as well when mixed 50/50 I hook a hose and funnel to the flush side of the cylinder cover, that’s the the side with the arrow pointing towards the rear of the ski, I then start the ski, pour about a liter or a bit more in, then shut the ski off, my thinking is by doing it this way the antifreeze continuously mixes and expels the mixture out the exhaust. I worry that there would not be enough protection by following the manual using the biodegradable antifreeze. The machine is running about 20 seconds or so the way I do it and I’ve had no issues with any of my 9 machines over the past 7 years that I’ve had them. But you do how you see fit.
Thanks for the reply !
If hooking up to the arrow pointing toward the rear then are you not bypassing the engine entirely and risk cracking the block ?

Thanks for the reply !
If hooking up to the arrow pointing toward the rear then are you not bypassing the engine entirely and risk cracking the block ?
No, you are not by passing everything. The arrow is indicating which way the water flows during normal operation. This is the same route used for back flushing the ski on the hose and I believe when you use the manual procedure you are adding the antifreeze here as well.

Back