Challenger 1800 Rub Rail Replacement

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

parrothd

My last seadoo project(I hope), replaced the rub rail, I could only find it in black.

Made a huge difference in appearance the original was really beat up.

Here's the part numbers, the black insert will fit into the stock green base, a heat gun makes installing the insert easier..

http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...=TACO+Flexible+Vinyl+Rub+Rail+Inserts+-+Black

Description Order Qty Net Prc Ext Prc
TAC-V12-4144BKA50-1
Flexible Rub Rail Insert 1-5/32"
Black 50'
1ea 77.350 77.35

TAC-V11-9795BKA50-1
Taco Semi-Rigid Vinyl Rub Rail
Black 50' Flexible
1ea 120.897 120.90

Subtotal 198.25
Tax *****
Freight 0.00
Handling 25.41
Total 223.66

Attachments

• IMAG0373.jpg
    IMAG0373.jpg
    596.5 KB · Views: 181
  • IMAG0375.jpg
    IMAG0375.jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 176
Looks good. So did you just pull the old rail off and drill out the rivets? Then how did you reattach the new rail? Looks like you just used stainless screws instead of rivets. Did you use the old holes or drill new? I need more info how you did it all. I have a section about 2 feet long where the boat took a beating tied up to a dock last year. It pulled the rail loose on that section. The rail was pulled loose from the rivets. I am wondering if I can just drill those rivets out and either goto a bigger rivet or just use screws. Also did you seal the holes behind the rail with a clear silicone or something?

Looks good. So did you just pull the old rail off and drill out the rivets? Then how did you reattach the new rail? Looks like you just used stainless screws instead of rivets. Did you use the old holes or drill new? I need more info how you did it all. I have a section about 2 feet long where the boat took a beating tied up to a dock last year. It pulled the rail loose on that section. The rail was pulled loose from the rivets. I am wondering if I can just drill those rivets out and either goto a bigger rivet or just use screws. Also did you seal the holes behind the rail with a clear silicone or something?

http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ilyName=TACO+Marine+Semi-Rigid+Vinyl+Rub+Rail

This video is great, use a drill to remove the heads of the rivets, there's a lot of them.

Once you have all the rub rail off, take a little larger drill bit and remove the remaining rivet portion sticking out. You don't need to completely remove the rivet, just remove enough so they are flush with the side, some will come out, some won't. Dab a little silicon on each hole to seal them up.

I used stainless steel self taping screws from Menards, about 1in long(3/4 is probably better), the rub rail is pre-drilled every 6 inches, I drilled each hole to make it easier to get the screws started and keep the outer hull separating from the inner hull. Then added some silicon underneath between the hull and rub rail to finish it all up. You'll need a heat gun or hair dryer to heat the insert..

When you install the base rub rail base you don't want to stretch it too much, there's a curve that takes the slack out...

Thanks. Ill check out the video. I am not going to replace the whole thing though. I'm just going to fix where it came loose. I will probably use the same method though. Drill out the old rivets and either use a bigger self tapping screw in the old holes or just move them slightly and make new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back