Challenger 180 Wont go over 37 mph/6000 rpm

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcarp5666

Finally got back on flooded texoma and having some issues. Boat won't go over 37mph and maxes the rpm to 6100. Had the impeller checked and changed the plugs but same thing. New to the 4-tec but figure someone knows how to troubleshoot this. Thanks in advance,

I hate to mention it but is it the supercharged engine. There were issues with ceramic washers coming apart. Very similar symptoms when they implode.

Just do a search on this forum and others and there is plenty to read. I hope its not the case,

When a hose comes off or cracks from the itercooler, you lose 20-26 mph and about 2000 RPM. If the SC fails you get the same thing. Check the IC hoses very well. If they are good, pull the SC hose and see if you can spin the SC with your finger. It should be VERY hard to spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, with my luck it's the SC but will check the IC hoses. At least a starting point before dealership visits. With this late of a start to the season (flooding), I'm just happy to go 35 on the water.

If it was the Ceramic Washers. You will be pulling the engine. All the ceramic parts need to be removed. If not, you can cause serious engine damage.

If it is the SC, can I still drive it w/out further damage? I know the safest answer, but I just use it to go back and forth to the dock and beach.

also check/replace air filter and check clean air intake manifold, dirt and grime can build up inside throttle body causing reduce air flow.

also check/replace air filter and check clean air intake manifold, dirt and grime can build up inside throttle body causing reduce air flow.

What year Challenger. Some of the later ones have air filters most do not. But do check the air intake for dirt and grim.

If it is the SC, can I still drive it w/out further damage? I know the safest answer, but I just use it to go back and forth to the dock and beach.

No. If the ceramic failed, it MUST be removed from the engine. You WILL have serious engine damage if you run with ceramic chips in the engine.

Pull the SC and post a picture of the washer end.

I guess what I meant to ask was, it the ceramic washer is fine and the SC needs to be rebuilt, will it cause any other damage running it around at 35 mph. Although if I get it taken off, might as well send it off now. I already missed the whole season, what's one more weekend.

The thing is, if the ceramic washer is fine, NOW, it may not be fine this weekend. They are know for exploding and sending shards of ceramic into your engine. You can give up ONE weekend now, while you are waiting to have your SC rebuilt, or you can be like the boats I see parked on the side of peoples houses for years because they can't afford a new engine... IMHO, don't use it until it is fixed.

No,,,, If you have Ceramic Washers they need to come out. VERY expensive mistake if they fail. At a minimum you would have to rebuild the SC and pull the engine to clean it. Or,,, You will need a new engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were washers I would have the motor checked. My friend recently bought a boat and the dealer told him they rebuilt his SC because it was getting close to 100 hrs. What they didn't mention was that it was rebuilt because the washers exploded and they didn't really know what happens inside. Short story, his boat started stalling and when taken to another dealer they found ceramic pieces in the front fuel pump luckily not in the engine yet. Bad situation that could have been worse.

That is my point. Ceramic Washers are engine killers. Not worth running with them. Very expensive mistake.

Cannot spin the SC with my fingers, it won't spin at all. I cannot get the SC off, the sockets I have will strip the bolts so I have to wait for my local Mechanic to get back from vacation. Can I see the Washer from the Hose side? and Should the SC spin at all? I assume these are torque head bolts but nobody in this poo dunk town knows what I am talking about.

When a hose comes off or cracks from the itercooler, you lose 20-26 mph and about 2000 RPM. If the SC fails you get the same thing. Check the IC hoses very well. If they are good, pull the SC hose and see if you can spin the SC with your finger. It should be VERY hard to spin.

Cannot spin the SC with my fingers, it won't spin at all. I cannot get the SC off, the sockets I have will strip the bolts so I have to wait for my local Mechanic to get back from vacation. Can I see the Washer from the Hose side? and Should the SC spin at all? I assume these are torque head bolts but nobody in this poo dunk town knows what I am talking about.

The sc impeller shouldn't spin with fingers, they are tork bolts.
i think a (10mm) ring spanner will fit ok, with one bolt at the back difficult to get at.

It can spin with your fingers but it is VERY hard to do so. If it spins easy it is defective.

You can't see the washers until the SC is pulled.

BRP stopped using ceramic washers a few years back 2007-2008?? Does anybody know the last year of the ceramic ones? I don't see the year of the boat in question in this thread. If it is a more recent year, don't worry about the ceramic washer explosions. Mine is a 2009 and I am not going to do anything to the SC unless it stops performing. I have 130 hours on it and performs well - at WOT it jumps to 8000 then usually tapers back to 7500-7600 ish.

I have a 2008 Seadoo Challenger and it had ceramic washers in the supercharger. In 2008 they were still using 2007 engines and parts. I changed them out at 55 engine hours. I got lucky. Your not safe from the destructive ceramic washers until the 2009 model year.

BRP stopped using ceramic washers a few years back 2007-2008?? Does anybody know the last year of the ceramic ones? I don't see the year of the boat in question in this thread. If it is a more recent year, don't worry about the ceramic washer explosions. Mine is a 2009 and I am not going to do anything to the SC unless it stops performing. I have 130 hours on it and performs well - at WOT it jumps to 8000 then usually tapers back to 7500-7600 ish.

I'm no mechanic, but I assume the supercharger will need to be serviced every 2 years or 100hrs even though you have the supercharger without the ceramic washers.

If there's even a chance you have ceramic washers you should probably rebuild the S/C. Just Google PWC MUSCLE, they have videos showing how to pull it, you mail it to them and they rebuild and mail it back a few days later, Minimal down time,...peace of mind not wondering / worrying about ceramic parts... A couple bolts are a pain to reach but it's really not that hard. Good luck

Having the same challenges on a 12 230 SP. I have twin engines. Swapped the fuel pump, injectors, coils, plugs over to the other engine. The SC are new. Oil level is perfect. No water in the SC hose or intake. Impeller and wear ring look fine. Port engine will plane at 8000 rpms and kick down to 5800-6000 rpms. I changed the SC when this happened thinking this was the reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back