Challenger 180 SE exhaust hose disconnect. flooded bilge to 8" of water.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the hose that connects the resonator to the exhaust port fall off while riding. The bilge filled with water and the pump was working overtime to pump out the bilge. Symptoms were at first lower rpms despite throttle position, next an over temperature warning, then engine shutoff, cannot restart. Lucky for us, we were close to the boat launch and a passing boater towed us in. We were very heavy with water, but were able to drain the bilge quickly on trailer.

Here is how we fixed it.

Tools = Socket set. Flat head screw driver.

- Shut main Battery switch off

- Open the engine compartment and prep the area with life jackets and cushions. We had to lay on top of the engine to reach the hose. Be careful not to break any top engine components or disconnect the TPS connector like I did :(

- Take a picture of the intercooler and remove it. This allows easy access to work area.

- Lossen 2 exhaust port hose clamps

- Carefully move resonator and hose towards engine compartment opening.

- Attach exhaust hose to resonator. Tighten the 2 hose clamps.

- Insert resonator and attach to exhaust fitting. Tighten the 2 clamps.

- Install the intercooler.

- Account for all tools, hose clamps, and fasteners. Check top of engine for all connectors.

Back in the water:

- Turn main battery switch on, stay attached to trailer, start engine, and look for leaks.

We were good so we launched, however, the engine light was on, and the computer only allowed limp mode back to dock. This is where I discovered that I removed the TPS sensor with my beer belly during the repair. The display gave us the fault code. Once the connector was installed, the fault code went away but engine light stayed on. On next launch, the computer allowed only 5000 rpm but no fault codes. Subsequent small rides around dock allowed for greater and greater RPMs and eventually the engine light went out.

Hopefully someone finds this helpful. I have a great respect for Boat Mechanics, especially their ability to contort their bodies to work in impossible confined spaces :)

Attachments

• After.JPG
    After.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
  • Before.JPG
    Before.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Had the hose that connects the resonator to the exhaust port fall off while riding. The bilge filled with water and the pump was working overtime to pump out the bilge. Symptoms were at first lower rpms despite throttle position, next an over temperature warning, then engine shutoff, cannot restart. Lucky for us, we were close to the boat launch and a passing boater towed us in. We were very heavy with water.
Did you clamp off exhaust water inlet hose on towing? Or keep it under 5mph? I had to be towed and thank goodness I keep vise grips on my boat tool bag. Although the manual states that if you must tow and don’t/can’t clamp the hose, to keep it slow (<5mph).

Were you able to start it once you got the water drained, hose connected and engine cooled down? and why did the hose come off? Clamp broke, was loose?
Glad you made it back to dock safely!

Did you clamp off exhaust water inlet hose on towing? Or keep it under 5mph? I had to be towed and thank goodness I keep vise grips on my boat tool bag. Although the manual states that if you must tow and don’t/can’t clamp the hose, to keep it slow (<5mph).

Were you able to start it once you got the water drained, hose connected and engine cooled down? and why did the hose come off? Clamp broke, was loose?
Glad you made it back to dock safely!

No tools on board ( DUH ), so I limped back to boat launch. engine stalled 300' from launch, another boater slowly towed me in. Yes engine started once drained and repaired next day. We hit some rough wake, thats when I think it fell off. It looks to me that in was not on properly possibly even from the factory! notice how the second clamp in the before picture is squeezing the hose?!?

Last edited:
No tools on board ( DUH ), so I limped back to boat launch. engine stalled 300' from launch, another boater slowly towed me in. Yes engine started once drained and repaired next day. We hit some rough wake, thats when I think it fell off. It looks to me that in was not on properly possibly even from the factory! notice how the second clamp in the before picture is squeezing the hose?!?
See the pictures now, thanks for the details. Yes, looks like the clamp wasn’t all the way down and a little crooked, not flush on the distal end of the boot. And the second clamp looks to not have been grabbing much of anything! Good stuff, thanks for the info as any little bit helps us all with our machines!

See the pictures now, thanks for the details. Yes, looks like the clamp wasn’t all the way down and a little crooked, not flush on the distal end of the boot. And the second clamp looks to not have been grabbing much of anything! Good stuff, thanks for the info as any little bit helps us all with our machines!
Exactly...the water box inlet has a raised lip and because if it both clamps need to be Basically at the end of the rubber or they will be over the raised lip. Once tightened they can't physically make it over the lip. If tightened on the lip, they can come loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back